"Why just the iPod Touch and not the iPhone?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krafty, May 15, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I get this question a lot.

I've always wanted an iPhone but seriously can't stand looking at the price. We'll, I'm switching back to AT&T so my mom won't have to suffer through paying that and my Verizon bill (she has AT&T too). So I heard of the rumor of $200 iPhone 2.0, but Apple making that reasonable of a price? Doubt it, but I brought it to her attention. She said should can't promise but I didn't want her to try. I'm a poor college student, so it really wouldn't benefit her.

So I'm getting this deal at Best Buy for a $75 Blackberry Curve with the 2yr of AT&T. The iPhone would be useful to me in so many ways, a major one being so I wont have to carry a phone and an iPod touch everywhere, but I like to text, not talk.

Its just asking my mom to shell out even more for the purpose of paying less doesnt make sense to me, but the Blackberry should be able to hold up. Right? Right?

I'm gonna try to get a job at the Appe store over the summer if I get a car.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

iPhone 2.0 is coming soon, and will have the best applications of any mobile platform before the end of the year. Possibly even at launch :eek:.

I wouldn't get a blackberry myself at this point, but it is cheaper, and can do email well.

3. McGiord, May 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You'll be lucky to find an iPhone in stock nowadays, the inventory seems to be gone, the new generation will be out soon with many nice features.
    After the new one is out the current/old one will have a lower price, in Europe they are offering it by 100 euros, so if yo are not in a hurry, give the blackberry a try and wait for the new iPhone, and then switch if you want to.

I do prefer the iPhone instead of anything else out there, and I prefer emailing instead of texting.
    ________
    one vaporizer reviews

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sell the Touch and with the money buy a subsidized iPhone (supposed to be at $199).

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

In all honesty I have to get a phone now. My enV is an insured phone and arrived bootleg but I put up with it for the past few months. Verizon said I had to call the insurance company and I could not for the life of me get a hold of a human being so I gave up.

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

well if you put up with it for the past few months, why not wait it out the next few weeks and see what the new iPhone is priced at (assuming they really do offer a subsidy)
    If you absolutely *had* to get a new phone right this instant, you'd have gotten one already, right?

7. neven macrumors 6502a

Don't hold your breath for a $200 iPhone. Really. They're selling at a very healthy pace at the current price - there's no huge incentive to discount it.

The BlackBerry certainly isn't the worst you could do, but you're looking for encouragement to go against the iPhone in the wrong place :)

8. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Being why I'm getting one tomorrow....
    You can't all be THAT in love with an object...
    Which is why I can't get one.
    If that were true I would do it.

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Get the blackberry. Enjoy the Blackberry.

If the iPhone is subsidized, and it arrives in the next 30 days, you can swap them. After that, the blackberry will probably command a decent price on eBay, so if you want an iPhone once it comes out, sell the touch and the blackberry and you're good to go.

10. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I agree. And even if the iPhone isn't subsidized, there might be enough people with "gottahaveit-itis" that you could possibly pick up a used one at a decent price. I can't compare it to much else because the iPhone was my first smartphone, but in all reality, it isn't like the Blackberry won't suffice.

I may be labeled a heretic or heathen for saying this, but there are *some* days that I wish I had bought a 32GB Touch and a cheap cell phone to replace my dead RAZR. Of course this will all change once Apple releases the 2.0 firmware and gives me "mah" A2DP! :D

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

You're not a heretic. I've felt the same way sometimes, and I carried a treo before my iPhone. Webapps don't meet EVERYTHING I used to have a PDA for, so I have a lot of hopes on the SDK. At one point I was tempted to look at an AT&T Tilt or a Blackberry for a while.

And if they burn you at the stake for your post, at least I'll be next to you keeping you company.

12. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

In all reality, (other than my RAZR dying after taking a dive in the toilet) the main reason I considered the iPhone was the convergence of 3 items in one (iPod, PDA, phone). I guess it might work more if my area had better free wi-fi coverage, but the only two places it really does well is home and on campus. And in both of those cases, I have the MB with me, so it is kinda a moot point. I can't tell my wife that though, or she would be tying me to the stake, after I had to have it. :D

Cool, I'll bring the marshmallows. ;)

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Check out the refurb thread from a day or two ago. You might be able to get an 8GB for $250 or 16GB for $350. I have a refurb 8GB and no complaints here.

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Uh, what?
    You realize that the cheapest iPod Touch is $300 and the cheapest iPhone is $400, right? Really not much of a difference.

15. macwall macrumors 6502

$100 is 93 bacon double cheeseburgers. That's enough food for a month!

16. friekunater macrumors 6502

which is exactly what I hope to do. should I sell it now? will there be a new iPod touch? will it be worth anything?? is it worth it?!?

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

subsidized, sure...

i'll believe it when i see it. maybe when there's a $500 macbook.

18. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright. Thanks.

Took me eight months to save up enough spare money while going to college to buy the touch. So yes, shelling out $100 more is a huge difference, I probably wouldn't have an iPod touch if I tried to save 100 more with the amount of art supplies I had to buy.

If you think so, send me $100 bucks then.....

Though so.