Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Two reasons I'm wanting to abandon ship two weeks in; 1). Inability to stream football/NFL and 2). Inability to tether my iPad mini - both of which I'm able to do with an Android device out the box. I know I can do the above with the iPhone if I jail break the phone but doesn't that void my warranty?

But I love this iPhone! Somebody, anybody - tell me, what am I missing? I've got the iPad mini, Apple TV, and iPhone 5 and I love all they do together really cool.

I got a guy ready to trade me his new GS3 for my iPhone, someone tell me where I'd be going wrong.

Thx.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I mean if streaming nfl and tethering your iPad is what you are looking for and android can do that then switch so it makes you happy. I never need to tether but I would love to stream some nfl on my iPhone.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you're unhappy just return it for something that suits your needs.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Verizon allows steaming of nfl games. Not all, but primetime and red zone.

Pretty sure if you have Sunday nfl ticket for direct tv you can watch games. There is also slingbox, allows you to watch your tv anywhere from your iphone. Just a few options.

Verizon share everything plans let you tether at no additional cost.

karuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Keep the iPhone..for now at least.

Galaxy S4 is right around the corner

Value of the iPhone 5 will be high in a few month. Sell it and get the S4

S3 value will drop faster than a hookers panties in vegas when the S4 is announced

I'm kind of partial to android for the reasons you stated but losing value so quickly kills me. I'm a serial phone changer.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Try Slingbox. Costs a but but lets you watch TV on your phone which might fix your NFL problem.

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I've w/ Verizon. Teach me. If anyone knows how to tether and stream on the iPhone 5 without jail breaking I'm all ears. I know w/ Verizon's share everything plan tethering is free and supported but I'm still enjoying unlimited data where tethering is not supported. With Android there's the Foxfi app that tethers seamlessly and Verizon can no longer charge customers for utilizing the capabilities of their phone to tether.

----------

Will look into sling box, thx ...0320

----------

Koruk your point is why I went iPhone, tired of my $500+ phones value sinking like a stone after 6 months. You've barely broken the phone in and neighbors are getting it for $100. And forget resell value even after only a yr.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Keep the iPhone..for now at least.

Galaxy S4 is right around the corner

Value of the iPhone 5 will be high in a few month. Sell it and get the S4

S3 value will drop faster than a hookers panties in vegas when the S4 is announced

I'm kind of partial to android for the reasons you stated but losing value so quickly kills me. I'm a serial phone changer.

What do you mean will drop? It already has. You can pick them up for $99 with a new 2 year.

OP, why should any one try to convince you to stay with iPhone? No on cares what phone you use, get what you want and move on with your life. No need to come onto a forum and have people make your decisions for you, your're an adult, time to do those things for yourself.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I watch live tv all the time using my slingbox.
I can view all my home channels using my iPhone, iPad or any laptop with Internet connection.
About the tethering not sure if verizon allows you to add tethering to an unlimited data plan.
I know AT&T doesn't so I'm stuck waiting for the jb to come out.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
I've w/ Verizon. Teach me. If anyone knows how to tether and stream on the iPhone 5 without jail breaking I'm all ears. I know w/ Verizon's share everything plan tethering is free and supported but I'm still enjoying unlimited data where tethering is not supported. With Android there's the Foxfi app that tethers seamlessly and Verizon can no longer charge customers for utilizing the capabilities of their phone to tether.

----------

Will look into sling box, thx ...0320

----------

Koruk your point is why I went iPhone, tired of my $500+ phones value sinking like a stone after 6 months. You've barely broken the phone in and neighbors are getting it for $100. And forget resell value even after only a yr.

Download nfl mobile from the App Store. I think they charge 5 bucks for premium Verizon video but allows you to stream Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games. As well as having red zone on Sunday and nfl network at all times.

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
AFD...you missed my point. I'm two weeks into my iPhone and I'm sure I don't know all that the phone is capable of. I know what androids can do. My previous phone (Droid Razr) did it all, stream, tether, you name it - and that phone is 3 yrs old! That's impossible to ignore as I learn of the iPhones apparent limits.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
AFD...you missed my point. I'm two weeks into my iPhone and I'm sure I don't know all that the phone is capable of. I know what androids can do. My previous phone (Droid Razr) did it all, stream, tether, you name it - and that phone is 3 yrs old! That's impossible to ignore as I learn of the iPhones apparent limits.

i can both tether and watch NFL games on my iPhone, sounds like a carrier limitation and not the iPhone.

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
What do I need to do to stream and tether? Verizon can't be the problem, the LTE is flying - got to be my ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Ok, go to http://www.apple.com and do some research, go to http://www.verizon.com and do some research. You should of done that before you bought the phone. Do you often spend so much on un-educated purchases? Sounds like you're a salesman's favorite customer.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Trading an iPhone 5 straight up for a Galaxy S3 is a rip off. He should give you his GS3 plus $200 cash for an iPhone 5. Galaxy S3's have already dropped to around $350-400 in resale value while the iPhone 5 is still above $600.

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Ok, go to http://www.apple.com and do some research, go to http://www.verizon.com and do some research. You should of done that before you bought the phone. Do you often spend so much on un-educated purchases? Sounds like you're a salesman's favorite customer.

You seem bent on insulting me. I'm sorry for you if you're offended by this thread. Others seem to understand where I'm coming from and I appreciate the conversation and insight. Thx all.

----------

Trading an iPhone 5 straight up for a Galaxy S3 is a rip off. He should give you his GS3 plus $200 cash for an iPhone 5. Galaxy S3's have already dropped to around $350-400 in resale value while the iPhone 5 is still above $600.

Thx Mr. Hill, you're right. And Im not making that trade after this thread. Sometimes when you want something ( tethering and streaming NFL) your tempted to be drastic. Resale value is the issue in any trade of this nature. Thanks again all. One sign of wisdom is seeking and listening to the wisdom of others.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
What do I need to do to stream and tether? Verizon can't be the problem, the LTE is flying - got to be my ignorance.

I'm on AT&T so not sure how verizon is but I think you can add a tethering option for your unlimited data. Not sure how much it costs though.

Last edited by a moderator:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
OP, why should any one try to convince you to stay with iPhone? No on cares what phone you use, get what you want and move on with your life. No need to come onto a forum and have people make your decisions for you, your're an adult, time to do those things for yourself.

Agree. If the iPhone can't do the things that you want it to, then get rid of it and get something that does.

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Agree. If the iPhone can't do the things that you want it to, then get rid of it and get something that does.

Apparently it can, in several different ways. It was never clear to me that the iPhone couldn't do the things I want - I just didn't know how. Most of the things I researched required jail breaking the phone - perhaps because I was looking for free options, idk.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
My phone was able to tether out of the box.

Thats something to take up with your carrier and not Apple.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Duner...what do I need to do to stream and tether? Verizon can't be the problem, the LTE is flying - got to be my ignorance.

I have an unlocked iphone 5 that im using on tmobile so i dont know if the content differs, but

When I hit "settings" I get:

Airplane Mode
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Personal Hotspot <---you just turn it on and off to tether..
Carrier

As far as streaming football I have no idea because I don't care about that. Espn app or something?

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Don't know if anyone mentioned it but you'd take a loss monetarily because the iPhone sells for more. A more fair trade would be the GS3 + cash on your friend's end. That being said though, I'm not saying this as if the GS3 is a worse phone. It's a great one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.