Why Larger iTouch? 8GB vs 16 GB vs 32 GB?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cokids, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cokids macrumors member

Ok, I'm new....ordered an 8 GB refurb from Apple and it arrives on Friday, but now I'm worried that I bought one with too little memory. Any thoughts?

I will not watch lots of video...use mostly for photos, internet and email. Did I choose the wrong one? I don't even listen to much music, so maybe I'm getting the wrong 'machine?' I think I'll also love the podcast feature!!

Beth

2. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I've got an 8GB touch.

Songs - 969
    Videos - 19 (only little ones from a mobile phone)
    Photos - 1658
    Apps - 20

Still have 1.8GB of space free.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you're starting out and aren't going to watch much video 8GB should be fine (although larger capacities never hurt besides financially). It will take a lot of audio podcasts, although video podcasts are increasing in number and quality which is something might want to consider.

iTunes allows you to manage you media fairly efficiently - for example when it comes to podcasts you can choose to automatically only sync those with aren't listened/viewed, or only the 3 latest podcasts. That way you don't fill it up with things that you've already listened to/watched.

I've fallen in love with my touch. It's an extremely capable little machine that's more PDA than it is an iPod. It's replaced my laptop for day to day use now. With the addition of the App store the possibilities are almost endless. You should really enjoy your purchase :).

4. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

for what you are doing, a refurb 8GB seems perfect!

i watch a little more video, so i ordered a refurb 16GB last night! :)

5. divinemercy macrumors regular

8g should be more than enough haha...

First of all 2/3 of what you said you'd be doing (internet + email) has little to do with the memory at all.....

And you said you wont be doing much music OR video?

I can fit up to 8 (ipod quality) full length movies, plus a few hundred songs on my 8g.... besides, i have my mac with me all the time, so you just sync out what you dont need....

But there is absolutely no need for you to have anything other than an 8. Good choice.

Ryan

6. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i have

•611 songs
    •1 video (small video podcast)
    •70 picture
    •21 apps

and i still have 3.39 GB left

7. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

My 16 GB Touch

On my 16GB Tough I have:

Songs: 326
    Videos: 40
    • Video Podcasts: 28 (total of about 10 hrs)
    • Movies: 3 (total of 6hrs)
    • TV Shows: 5 (total of 5hrs)
    Photos: 249
    Apps: 17

Open Space: 2.9gb

Some of those apps are ones that will get deleted, probably about half. I am also WAY behind on my podcasts so that number will drop drastically once I am able to give it some attention.

If you are going to be using it mostly for Email/Web and Photos then it will more than do the job for you. IMO

8. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I was just looking through the US refurb store today at lunch and noticed they were all $100 off, so I got one too. My entire iTunes library is slightly more than 8 GB, so my choice was easy: I got a 16 GB one. But the 8 GB one sounds like it should hold everything you are looking to use it for and other than an iPhone or another smartphone, it sounds like a good 'machine' for what you want.

9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've got an 8gb Touch, and have not felt like I needed a larger on.

With AOL radio, and the ability to stream my own music from my home server when at home, I don't need to keep much if any music on it. I'll keep a few photos, but if they are sized to fit the screen they don't take up much memory. For Video I keep one demo on there all the time, and any others stay on only until I've watched them.

You can get a 16gb Touch for $336ish now. I bought one for my wife and she has about 4gb filled.

It's tempting to download several Apps. After awhile, though, you'll find you only use a couple of them regularly.

So go larger if you have money to burn. Otherwise wait until your real needs start bumping into the 8gb capacity.

10. muldul macrumors 6502

I've got 16 Gb (got it the day it came out)

Songs - 1109
    Videos - 98 (movies and tv shows)
    Photos - 20
    I have no space left

For your needs though you have chosen right

11. Nichod macrumors regular

I wonder if it would be wiser to wait until Fall prices. I'd expect them to change.
    ie. go down.

But I could be wrong.