Why launching products at 5PM???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aucun Express, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Aucun Express macrumors regular

I wonder why the Apple Store are releasing the new iPads at 5PM sharp on opening day. Do you think they do that, so that we can see the people in the streets (at 8AM, there wouldn't be that much people seeing the long lines)?
    If not, what is the reason?

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

3. aohus macrumors 68000

to generate hype, and create lines starting at 8AM like you said.

lets not forget that Apple is HEAVY into marketing.

4. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Long lines through the daytime get more publicity that long lines overnight for a morning launch.

5pm doesn't help with people getting off of work since most work until 5 or later, and the lines were super long by that point so they probably wouldn't have gotten one by the time they got there anyway.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As everyone has noted:

It's to create lines to show on the 6pm news.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple does different products on different time/days. I guess Steve just says a time/day that he feels appropriate and that's it.

7. aohus macrumors 68000

exactly!

its exactly what i was thinking. i bet many local tv stations covered the 'ipad2' event. i'm thinking this is what they were after.

8. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

9. poloponies, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

poloponies macrumors 68030

As a typical TV viewer who watches the news while getting dressed in the morning and NEVER catches the evening news I don't buy the "getting attention" argument, the news cameras will be all over it whether it's a morning release or evening release.

They started this with the iPad 3G last year, which was the first time I ever stood in line (okay, so it was for about 45 minutes).

If I really had to guess it's probably to ensure that they maximize the number of units received in the store for the people waiting in line. Friday morning means they'd have shipments through Thursday and for a new product release they may not be able to get stuff in the store that far ahead of time. Waiting for Friday's deliveries maximizes the opportunity to get stock in the store.

(It's the same concept that led to Tuesday being "new release day" for music, movies and videogames. Not all stores would get timely shipments on Monday so they held off sales until Tuesday to ensure that everyone could get their deliveries before the official "sale date."

10. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I doubt Apple does it for TV ratings. 5PM on a Friday is usually the time to put out bad news as people forget things over the weekend.

11. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Interesting though, that by starting sales at 5PM local time, it does only give Apple 3-4 hours to get all the customers in line in and out of the store on that most important day 1 of sales. At least when they started at 10AM they had a good 9-12 hours, depending on location, to get customers in and out of the store and sell as many Ipad's as they could.

12. mgchan macrumors member

Personally I think they went overboard with this one. It's one thing to have long lines for things and get people excited about a product. With the iPhone 4 it was already annoying that you had to pick up the phone in store the first day if you pre-ordered. The iPad 2 launch seems to be crossing the line and irritating customers. If you're willing to wait in line for 4 hours they should have stock available.

They probably should have held off 2 weeks to ensure availability.

13. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

It's also that there are people at the malls seeing the lines during the day time.

Launch at 9 or 10 am and many fewer people actually seed the lines since the malls aren't closed for part of the line up time, and not that busy when they first open compared to having a line that's there form before opening through 5-7pm when they server everyone.

But evening news still has pretty high viewership. Lots of people have it on while eating dinner etc. So don't over generalize your own experience. Mine's totally the opposite of you as I'm not a morning person so I'm seldom up for the morning news, but sometimes watch the evening news while eating if I'm home.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's just silly to think it's orchestrated for "the evening news" - it's on the news no matter what or when it happens. And Friday evening is probably the lowest viewership of the week as others have noted.

15. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

^Doubtful, where were you? Lines were forming over a day in advance. People were lined up around the block at every apple store the day of by 8am.

16. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

feel sorry about those countries who didnt have pre orders.

where i live, they opened for prorders on the 11th. And i got a text the other day, that i can pick mine up on friday morning. So i dont have to wait in line during the afternoon.

Great i think :D

17. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Well whatever reason it was a ****** day and time for a launch in terms of customer convenience.

Moot for me as I'd never line up to buy somethibpng anyway. But seems easier for consumers to launch on a weekend so they don't have to take off work etc. And to sell it earlier in the day to cut down on wait time a little.

18. foranor macrumors regular

It most certainly is not the news and lines, because the store will be open for 7 hours by that time and people won't stand OUTSIDE in a line, but crowd the store for 7 hours before that.

Of course noone wants to buy an iPad2, everyone wants to just check out MBAs, but once the first iPad is unwrapped, everyone suddenly no longer wants an MBA but an iPad.

Besides, this is for reseller-companies, too, who will be open for 7 hours and having a full house of customers that might just buy other stuff as well.

I don't quite get why it needs to start at 2am Online, either, and not midnight.

19. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

But if Apple launches on a Friday afternoon, just like movies, that counts as 3 days for weekend sales. It's all about numbers.
    As for convenience, what about those that work on the weekend? I don't know if you know, but lots of people do works Saturdays and Sundays. Granted it's less than weekdays, but it's still a good number.
    And the whole media thing is silly. As someone said, Friday night news is one of the lowest viewed days.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If it's not about deliberately wanting to create physical crews for the media, why not let people pre-order on the internet, so they don't have to rush around and some be disappointed when their local store has only a few units and they have travelled for nothing.

In what way is Apple doing what's best for the consumer?

You know, there is every chance someone in the UK will be involved in a road traffic accident as they rush in their car from work, to get to an Apple store as quick as they can to join the queue.

When you think about it, it does show you what's wrong with Apple's mentality due to it's size, and overconfidence that it can do as it wants, manipulate things to it's advantage, as opposed to operating as a normal company.

21. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

It's definitely not for the news. Apple gets enough publicity as it is. They don't need the news to help them sell the iPad 2. Everyone already knows when it's coming out. Also, the iPad 2 will be on the news anyways, as it WILL be the big news of the day. "Apple iPad 2 in stores today"

To be honest I think it's for health reasons. If the store opens at 8am for example, people will wait out all night in the freezing cold weather. At 5PM.. People can wake up in the morning and then go wait in the lines. I'm probably wrong but it's just a guess that makes sense in some sort of way. This doesn't apply to the people who camp outside for days. Lol.

22. foranor macrumors regular

How many people, do you think, will be unhappy after having preordered and Apple isn't able to meet demand on preorders, or even if they can, they don't have a single device left for offline-sales?
    Apple is, I am quite certain, doing what is best for its shareholders and only on a secondary level interested in the customer.

23. foranor macrumors regular

But then, how can you think it will be healthy if the MediaMarkt opens their doors at 10am (regularly) and hundreds of people rush in to wait another 7 hours in (another line?) inside.

24. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

What you talkin' bout Willis?!:confused: