why mac doesn't recognize hard disk as fast as windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 7asan, Dec 1, 2011.

1. 7asan macrumors newbie

my external hard disk which is always attached to my mac takes very long to get recognized and appear on the desktop. sometimes as long as half an hour!? even though in my windows it doesn't take time at all. it's there instantly.
    is there any solution? i tried to replug the hard disk. change the port. tried my friend's hard disk and all the same. it seems like a problem with all hard disks not just mine. do u face any similar problems?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. 7asan thread starter macrumors newbie

no.. would u mind explaining to me what SMC reset is?

4. simsaladimbamba

Click the link I provided. It does NOT delete any data and helped me recognising stubborn HDDs.

5. 7asan thread starter macrumors newbie

alright.. thanks for the help : ).. i will let u know if it works

6. 7asan thread starter macrumors newbie

simsaladimbamba.. the article you posted has nothing to do with external hard disk!.. i mean i don't understand how restarting my mac or unplugging the cord will solve the issue!

7. simsaladimbamba

SMC is short for System Management Controller, and though it is not listed there, external HDDs can be helped via resetting the SMC.
    It just takes a minute to do so and does not delete any of your data and it helped me and a lot of other people with stubborn external HDDs, thus I recommended it.

I can't explain you any of the details why it works, as I am not that proficient in system management controlling, I just know, that it helps. Thus my recommendation.

It is up to you, if you want to do it or not, and if you are still unsure, just use a www search engine of your choice and find many of the occurrences where it helped. I just don't recommend things out of thin air.

8. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Ouch, it takes half second for my external drives to appear, no matter if they are USB, firewire or flash drives