Why mac dvd drives so SLOOOOW?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CavemanMike, Feb 1, 2014.

1. CavemanMike macrumors regular

I'm coming from a desktop pc world where dvd-burners go 24x for DVD-R.

In browsing around for a dvd burner for my mac, it appears that the fastest ones go 8x for DVD's.

1. What's the best DVD drive for my macbook pro, and
    2. What's a good dvd burning solution? Though I only bun 2 dvd's per week, I'd prefer it if it wasn't 3 times slower than my windows pc.

Thanks!

Mike

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Dump question but the 24x DVD burners, are they internal and the 8X Mac dvd burners external?

I can see the difference being internal vs slower usb external.

3. CavemanMike thread starter macrumors regular

internal vs. external

I thought if I found an external USB 3.0, it would be just as fast as an internal, but it seems not.

The external seem to write at 8x vs. internal 24x for dvd-r.

Is it because it's usb powered, and not plugged in the wall?

Mike

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

USB 3 is not as fast as the internal bus.

The claim of 8x vs. 24x can be misleading. These drives are variable speed. A 24x burner can burn at this rate for only a portion of the disc. If memory serves, it is toward the outer edge. As you get closer to the center, the speed has to drop back to slower burn rates. Your overall burn time will be dominated by time the burner spends at the slower burn rates.

A bus-powered burner must be energy-efficient. Energy-efficient usually translates into slower.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Laptop-style slimline drives are rarely as fast as an full-sized internal drive (or said drive in an external case).

I have a full-sized external USB 3.0 LG BluRay burner which will read CD at 48x or something, DVD at 16x and BR at 18x. It's extremely fast. Burns BR at 14x, DVD at 16x and CD at 24x.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Remember that from an Apple perspective, any disk is technology of the past, not future, and only tolerated in the present.