*Why Mac games are slower then there Windows verson *

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Mycatisbigfoot, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Mycatisbigfoot macrumors regular

I have found out!

Most of the mac games I have played that are for only intell computer is because they run in cross over! yes ! While I was trying to get my Sims3 Working I found out by looking around in the App folder inside of the APP, there are .exe and a C: Folder and also an F: Folder and with that i found under the C: folder a windows folder and a porgrams folder, and then the porgrams folder looks like the sims 3 porgram folder on Xp,

I beleve that sims3 is running under wine \ cross over or somthing of that nature,

So its better that mac games that have a windows verson on the same disk be ran under windows, ( BOOT CAMP people) Thats why it will not run on a g4\5 or with the same amout of ram for the windows verson as the emulation takes more cpu cycles

So EA make a real mac verson!

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Most of the 'ports' have been doing this for several years; it's nothing new and a real PITA.

3. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass myself but the information you posted is incorrect (Cider/Wine/Crossover/Parallels Desktop/VMWare are not, and have never been, emulation; PowerPC computers can't run cider games because the CPU architecture is different, not because they are slower) and makes reference to something widely publicized and well known for a long time.

Real mac version won't ever be made because they cost more money for minimal gains (the PPC market is not important to game publishers, at all) and making a Cider port is extremely easy and works relatively well.

5. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Cider FTL!

Kinda stupid and ironic that the only computers that can run Cider ports are the only computers that can run BootCamp...

6. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Harsh. Glad I have a cool Windows games machine. Ironically its also a hackintosh, and I can run World of Warcraft under Windows or Mac. Windows still wins even though WoW is actually not a Cider port.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This is soo true. Cider is very cost effective and it can bring more current popular games to the Mac table faster than true porting. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but we at least have that much.

The issue with speed/etc needs to be addressed at the CIDER core and that needs to be streamlined. However, (and I quit visiting there a while back) it seems they're more interested in streamlining the Linux version first. Which is cool, but meanwhile we wait.

Also Transgaming needs to implement a way to update the Cider core after we have had games installed. Maybe they do, but I haven't seen anything yet so I'm just throwing that out there.

Streamline the core and the games might run a tad faster.

Also you have to look at the hardware, the base code whether it's cider or virtual pc (which by the way isn't a fair comparison to speed by any means since your using partial 'emulated' resources, not emulated operating system, but resources) means nothing. Of course you can run a game on a windows machine with similar processor, similar memory, but the windows have a better graphics card and yep, it'll run better.

And yes, if you have 2 machines (mac and windows) identical as possible in machine config yes native will always run a bit faster than a wrapped game. It has one less layer of code to bypass and less chance of errors.

8. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Yeah, DirectX is significantly faster than OpenGL (though 9 is still faster than 10), probably why the 360 and ps3 seem to equal out as far as raw graphics go.

Good thing I have 360, ps3, and Wii, though I'd like to hack in a new video card into the Mac Pro, the x1900 is woefully outdated, especially under Windows 7, which seems to have far worse 3d performance than XP, even running DX9...

9. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85