Why Mac Pro SSD ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 777666, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 777666 macrumors newbie

Mac Pro SSD sells for 999$ at mac stores, and its 850$ on top of a 1TB hard drive if you want to upgrade it.

my question is, why shall we use mac 's SSD?

is there gonna be a difference if i purchase a SSD from a retail store and install it on my own? this is gonna save me two-three hundred dollars!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't make SSDs and overcharges for them. There's no difference if you buy any 3rd party drive.

3. 777666 thread starter macrumors newbie

any1 know what third party SSD mac pro is using ?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe they use various brands and models. Your best bet is to buy one that meets your needs, rather than trying to match what Apple may use. There are many SSD threads here, filled with recommendations and reviews on which are the best models. A quick search of the forum should get you the information you need.

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

They typically use Samsung or Toshiba. I would recommend Samsung, Crucial or Intel all of which are very reliable and great performers.

6. Pval macrumors newbie

Only caveat with third party is that TRIM won't be enabled.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM:
    You'll need to 'hack' the driver via command-line or a tool and verify after every osx update that it's still turned on.

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Most current gen drives have adequate garbage collection and will maintain performance without TRIM in all but the most extreme heavy write situations.