Why Mac so slow to browse network shares?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HyperX13, Nov 17, 2009.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

So on my Mac Pro, when I get into my NAS (linux based), the files take like 3 seconds to actually appear in the window after I click on the share. On my Windows 7 machine, that is next to the mac, on the same switch, takes not even a second, it's instant. I have always had an issue that the Mac is slow when browsing network shares. Even if it's another Mac. Any ideas why this is?

2. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

Word. It is slow, even browsing other Macs and it's probably because I have wireless.

tbh, you just have to live with it.

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yep, it's just slow.

I have the same issue with NFS shares, HFS+ shares, it doesn't seem to matter. Sometimes it's really fast, but not usually.

4. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah but I am curious why? How can Microsoft get these things to open up so quick. Even Ubuntu is slow on network shares. I wonder what the magic sauce is?

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I never experienced such a behaviour.
    Browsing my shares (SMB and AFP) with both Gigabit ethernet and Airport is as fast as it should be.
    No delays whatsoever.

6. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I have this problem occasionally at work. It doesn't always happen, but I haven't picked up the pattern or cause yet. It's almost like it must wait while the hard drive on the server spins up (but I know this isn't the case). Our XP and Vista machines are unaffected.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Are you running Snow Leopard? The Finder's network access was vastly improved in SL. If you are and are still having trouble, then I'm not really sure. There's a number of possibilities, but all fairly detailed and beyond my pay grade (some possibly that you couldn't work around).

jW

8. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Yes, it occurs under SL; this also occurred on 10.5.x.

9. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Don't know if this will help or not, but I have noticed that even with local file display in finder, it's pathetically slow when in list view. If I switch to column view it's a bit more tolerable. Which view are you using?