Why .mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DMBGuru, Feb 16, 2008.

1. DMBGuru macrumors regular

What are the benefits of using .mac?

I am a single mac user (no iMacs yet... :( ). I have the intention of hosting a website on the internet for sure... what are the major benefits of using .mac over a third party hosting service?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think for the folks using dotmac, the fact that they can create little web sites quickly isn't really the selling point.

It's nice to have a convenient way to sync mutliple Macs (as you alluded to), but it's also a nice way to have an internet-based backup of contacts, calendar info, even Safari bookmarks and Transmit.app's stuff. :)

Of course, I'm lucky as I got a great deal on my account, but I barely use it to its full potential. :eek:

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You waste more money if you use .mac.

4. DMBGuru thread starter macrumors regular

Well, then why are there so many users who use it?

You can just as easily back up contacts and stuff on a flash drive that is a fraction of the cost.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

There are some useful features but only if you have multiple computers or take a laptop out on the road and want to access your home computer.

If you don't need those things, then it is just a waste of money. There are far cheaper alternatives out there.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

For some people, convenience and ease of use is worth a premium.

It just depends on your wants and needs. And your resources.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Synching is vastly easier if you have multiple Macs. That's worth it, to me. I like some of the other perks, but agree it's a bit pricey. But the iLife integration is also nice.

8. DMBGuru thread starter macrumors regular

Is iLife integration worth $100 in my case though?

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I really like my .Mac account, and I only have one computer.

The Web hosting is a toy... Nothing more. Fine for personal sites, but the server is slow, and I wouldn't dream of using iWeb's crap code for a business Web site that needed good search engine coverage.

But the photo galleries... Wow! As a former Zenfolio subscriber, and an investigator of many competitors, I have to say that the .Mac photo galleries are the best I've seen.

I also really dig the ability to order prints, calendars, cards and books from within iPhoto.

Other than photos...

Video chat with other .Mac users rocks.

Screen sharing is pretty cool.

Back to My Mac is a great feature.

I also like to sync my Address Book with a server, so i can look up contacts from any computer.

The iDisk is a nice way to share files with yourself, when you might have to work on those files form another (even Windows) computer.