Why MacBook Pro 2010 17" blinks sometimes?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Few days ago while I was surfing the web, the screen of my MBP suddenly blinked. It looked like it was caused by the website I was viewing. Yesterday, the screen blinked once. Is there anything wrong with my computer?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Few days ago while I was surfing the web, the screen of my MBP suddenly blinked. It looked like it was caused by the website I was viewing. Yesterday, the screen blinked once. Is there anything wrong with my computer?
It is probably a dying dGPU, a problem for all the 15 and 17 inch machines from 2009-2012.

Reactions: jerryk

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It takes so long for this issue to surface?
No electronics die eventually, through heat and corrosion etc.
It is old it has probably been well used and it is wearing out, electronic components don’t last for ever and laptops take more abuse than most computers. Any computer can fail for any one of a thousand electronic components at any time that is the nature of the beast.

In 2009 both Nvidia and and swapped to lead less solder for environmental reasons and consequently released mobile GPUs that really couldn’t cope with the heat and lack of cooling in a laptop, causing problems for a lot of computers. These cards have higher than normal failure rates and many died within a few years. Yours has lasted 7 years brilliant, time for a new computer I expect.

As a general rule of thumb any laptop that does 5 years without a problem is doing very well and a desktop lasting more than 7-8 years is doing very well.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
my 2007 17" macbook pro gave up the ghost few months back.

The dreaded GPU issue.
My 2007 15" macbook pro still runs cool and I swapped the heatsink compound few months back and good clean, still runs cool.
My 17" always ran hot

Weiwen Ng

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017
My 2010 MBP’s screen has been blinking occasionally, but it only started after I installed High Sierra. That was definitely a bit disconcerting. It doesn’t appear to be getting any worse yet.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
My 2010 MBP’s screen has been blinking occasionally, but it only started after I installed High Sierra. That was definitely a bit disconcerting. It doesn’t appear to be getting any worse yet.
Thanks for your experience. I haven't installed High Sierra yet. I am still on Sierra.