"Why macs suck"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ubuntu, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Before you post something like "OMG TROLL!", read all of it.

I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced the typical doesn't-know-what-they're-talking about mac-hater? Like, one friend, whenever I mention something about my mac, she says "oh, macs suck, I hate them", so I ask what one she tried, she says "the one with a colour back". :eek: Isn't that like, an iMac G3? Is it really fair to compare that to modern day PCs?

All I've come across is people who say that, and half of them have never tried a mac, and of course, the other half just seem to think that Apple must have not updated in the past few years...

So does anyone else get this?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I get that all the time. People use a beige G3 way back and didn't like it and now they hate Apple forever and compare it with their dual core windows XP box. Sometimes people are just confusing.

3. graymccarty macrumors member

graymccarty

Um... YES.. either what you just described above, or people who simply jump on the general bandwagon without lifting a finger and trying out a mac themselves. It pisses me off. For a while now I've been reading about people 'converting' PC users, and I thought that was interesting. Until one day about a month ago, one of my good friends told me that she was buying a Mac, because of me.. and how I've convinced her that Macs are superior. And then a week later, another good friends said the same thing.... and THEN it occured to me - wow... I just converted 2 people! I felt GREAT after that.

4. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Well, on the other hand, I despise Apple's Switch Campaign. I prefer macs, personally, but I don't like Apple that much, mainly for the somewhat arrogant campaign. I guess they do have to sell their product, but their certainty in 'facts' such as "macs don't crash" is worrying.

But that doesn't annoy me as much as the people in my original post lol. And the ones who criticise me having a mac, just generally. They like, ask 101 questions about why I bought one. How about to each their own? :D

5. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

6. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

It works the other way too; I compared my friends dual core Vista box with my old 233MHz G3 and now I hate MS forever.

7. wako macrumors 65816

there are fanboys both ways...

Stick around here and you see alot of Apple fanboys who will trash talk the crap out of MS because they also didnt know what they were doing when they used Windows.

8. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I managed to "convert" two people.

One of them, a particularly non technical person, has become an iLife guru in six months and is churning out music, movies and DVDs on an almost daily basis, and is loving it.

The other hates her iBook G4 and still hates me for "making" her buy one. Her issues are that there isn't a "start button" like in Windows, there is only one mouse button, "ctrl-c" doesn't "copy" and that there isn't enough space on her hard drive for all her iTunes stuff (despite the fact that she completely ignored me when I said that for her needs she should get the biggest BTO hard drive she could).

I am now very wary about who I preach Macintosh to. Some people will never get it.

SL

9. Nayrb macrumors member

I know my first Mac experiences were on the G3 back in grade school, absolutely hated the thing and it didn't help that it was mandatory we used them for typing lessons while nearly all of us students were back at home on Windows 95. I guess we associated it with boring school work and I have no interest in a Mac until about 3 years ago.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Many of us who use both come to the conclusion that the differences between the platforms aren't so stark. However, Mac is still my clear winner, and the winner of everyone else I know who uses both platforms.

Those who only use, or have only ever used, one or the other tend to be more influenced by what they hear and read. Others simply feel more comfortable with what they know, and are made uncomfortable by the thought that there's 'another way' to do mainstream desktop computing. A few on the Windows side feel very superior in building their own machines, and so dislike Mac for that reason, while a few on the Mac side believe that Apple hardware is superior to PC hardware despite it being pretty much identical these days.

It's almost instinctive to put down something we're jealous of or simply don't know much about. 9 times out of 10 I'd imagine that getting somebody who fits into this category infront of a Mac for a few hours will turn their opinion 180 degrees.

11. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

That's exactly how one of my good friends is. He asked me, "Why do you like Macs so much? Macs suck, dude." So I asked, "Really? When's the last time you used one?" "Uhhh... 7 or 8 years ago." :rolleyes:

A while later he also told me that Macs are getting more and more viruses and it's no more secure than Windows anymore. That's just blatant ignorance right there. He hasn't bothered to get the facts about Mac OS X (which he pronounces "Mac-oss-exx"), and he even admitted to not researching anything about it, yet he "knows" that Macs aren't secure anymore and they're just as insecure as Windows. :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Most of my friends say that Macs suck, because their brand new Core2Duo computer is faster. They fail to realize that I'm using a 700Mhz G4 with 384 MB RAM though... But that's their only gripe. They love the simplicity and the GUI of the OS.

13. c23roo macrumors regular

losing objectivity...

Well I don't know if I've lost all objectivity, but I came back to mac after 10 years of PC livin' - wife n work provided Dell equipment...

And i LOVE my iBook G4. So much so that I managed to convince my wife to replace our desktop with the PM G5 Quad - and all was well! Yay happiness!

Until last week when the PM went belly up - took to the shop and needs new logic board and processor... Now our old Dell desktop was clunky, would repeatedly give us the blue screen of death, and I could hit ctrl-alt-del without looking... But nothing this catastrophic - especially after less than 2 years.

But here I am, waiting for WWDC to see if there are going to be updates/price drops in the Mac Pros as I will be buying a replacement Monday afternoon. Methinks I've lost all objectivity, but these are the things that happen when you're in love...

-c

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I've seen people who haven't touched a Mac since the 68k days who say "Macs suck" even today. Like yeah... that's a reasonable assessment.

15. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

OH tell me about it... I recall people accusing Microsoft of copying the iPhone with their surface product... :D

16. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

Yes, the last time they used a mac was 12 years ago and they said it was a horrible...... I am trying to get them to use a mac but no luck yet.

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Some people here have been forced to use Windows for 15 years and genuinely have every right to despise it.

18. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

my friends at school tell me that they think that Macs are effectively "a pretty face". With no real use except to look at. I disagree, but have yet to be utterly convinced that a Mac would suit me.

19. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I just tell people that I only buy Macs because their pretty and shiny. The power of self-deprication is an...ermm...powerful one.

I have no interest in converting others to Apple, and other people have no interest in me converting them too it. So we can please ourselves.

:apple:

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Whenever they compare old Macs with new PCs, I just show them how much better Macs are anyway, and compare their new dual core PC to a new octo core Mac Pro. That usually ends the discussion :D

21. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Nothing new about Mac Bashers. They've been around since the platform was introduced. The pattern is frequently the same. They either have not used one for years, or else they've never used one.

It's difficult to know where all the dislike comes from. When the little beige Macs first hit the market in '84, I was working nights at RCA, in Burlington MA. The information technology types were dead set against them. Why? well, here was a little computer that was not only easy to use, but fun besides. Secretaries could pull a Mac from its shipping box, plug it in, connect the printer, (all per Apple's easy-to-follow directions) and start using it, without help from the IT types. Of course they were against them. When it was learned that you could easily network a bunch of them together with nothing more than modular telephone cable, well,,, what a lot of screaming about "how stupid" they were. And that's the problem to this day. At least that's my guess.

Of course, there are indeed "fan boys" on both sides. Heck, all three sides if you toss in the Linux fan boys. There are those who bash Windows, even though they've never tried it, or last tried back in the bad old days of Win 95. :eek: Windows finally becamse "usable" (to me, anyway) when Win 2000 hit the street.

Yeah, I use windows XP on the job, but my preferred system is the Mac. Why some have a problem with this will always be a mystery, I guess.

22. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

PC fanboys go "theres no right click... I cant use that!". I'm completely neutral though I have a PC, I'm about to get a Mac.