Why Mail!?? Why must you do this to me??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zwhaler, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I've been having some very annoying trouble with Mail lately, and up until about a month ago (I've been ignoring the trouble until now) it worked fine. I'm using a Gmail account with Mail, and my important settings under "Accounts" goes as follows:

Account Type: POP
    Incoming Mail Server: pop.gmail.com
    Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com

I'm pretty sure this info is correct. My username and password are correct. I have gone to the Gmail page and followed the exact instructions given, I even set the port to 995 and the other one to 587 and all that fancy stuff.

Now for the problem: I can receive email fine. But whenever I try to send an email to anyone, this annoying message pops up: (I copied and pasted it)

The sender address **********@gmail.com was rejected by the server smtp.gmail.com.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

Sending from: (My Name) <**********@gmail.com>

Then it shows the server I'm using, and I select "Try With Selected Server" and the same damn window comes up, telling me the exact same thing. I'm fairly certain that this is an easy problem to solve, but even after searching around I found that my information is correct, which makes no sense because I keep getting the same error. Any help would be much appreciated :eek:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Maybe your ISP is blocking all smtp servers except it's own.

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

That is a good point except it hardly makes sense in my situation. I am currently travelling throughout Japan, and have been jumping over several different internet connections as I go. On all of them, I get the same error.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

when adding the POP Gmail account did you enter both your email address and user name as ...@gmail.com?

5. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hey, I fixed the problem. I never really found out what was wrong, but I decided to simply delete my account and start over. I kept my email address, but I just erased all of my account info and let Mail "set up account automatically", which is a new feature I didn't know about until just a second ago when I tried it. It worked like a charm! I think that what the problem was was that the outgoing mail server is NOT smtp.gmail.com ... really it is smtp.gmail.cpom:(your email address here). It did that for me automatically and it worked perfectly.