Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I've always wondered this, why did Apple focus so much on making the iMac thing when it will never actually affect its ability to be put anywhere due to the stand obstructing the area behind the screen? If you put a 2007 iMac and a 2017 iMac against the same wall, they will both take up the same space due to the stand. So what is the reason beside cosmetics to make the iMac thin?

Reactions: hufflematt

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"So what is the reason beside cosmetics to make the iMac thin?"

Styling.
Nuthin' more than that.

In other words, "cosmetics"...

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
I imagine that because the thinner iMac uses less aluminum, it's cheaper for apple to manufacture, and gives them an excuse to drop the internal dvd drive, which also makes it cheaper to manufacture.

Also cosmetics, because anorexic thin is sexy.

Personally, I don't see the point, and I'd rather have the internal drive.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
To be fair, it is lighter and easier to move around. Granted, this is not a laptop, but sometimes you want to bring your rig with you for whatever reason. I like that the newer iMacs are thin and light.

I imagine that because the thinner iMac uses less aluminum, it's cheaper for apple to manufacture, and gives them an excuse to drop the internal dvd drive, which also makes it cheaper to manufacture.

Also cosmetics, because anorexic thin is sexy.

Personally, I don't see the point, and I'd rather have the internal drive.

Internal DVD drive? I haven't seen a DVD in five or six years. Flash drives are cheap, maybe you should migrate your media.

Reactions: Icaras

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
Internal DVD drive? I haven't seen a DVD in five or six years. Flash drives are cheap, maybe you should migrate your media.

Everyone's workflow is different. Mine requires frequent use of the DVD drive. The one in my 2010 iMac is starting to give out, so I have an external usb drive I've been using.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Everyone's workflow is different. Mine requires frequent use of the DVD drive. The one in my 2010 iMac is starting to give out, so I have an external usb drive I've been using.
I want a 2010 or late 09 iMac. The oldest one that still runs anything current that I have is a 2008 iMac. I still burn a lot of software CDs for my work computers, I like having the drive, I could live with a computer without one, but I would miss it sometimes.

On the cosmetics part of it, I think the 2012-2017 iMacs look weird, because they curve so sharply due to the fact they have to make it back to the stand. The 2007-2012 iMacs looked a lot nicer, with a very subtle curve. I also liked the black backing on the 2007-2009 iMacs better.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
So what is the reason beside cosmetics to make the iMac thin?

Why make the iMac any thicker than it needs to be? Whatever your view on spec/build approach, Apple has created what it believes is right, to make a 2018 iMac the same thickness as a 2007 iMac is simply a waste of material.

Reactions: chabig

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
A lot of people buy things not on logical reasoning but on emotions and what we see generates more emotions than whatever hardware they can fit in there. Beautiful design = more sales.

While some will argue that thinner does not mean better looking, but thinner does represent a more modern/futuristic design which is attractive to many people shopping for tech. It is also evident when you look at phone designs and popularity.

An iMac is often the centerpiece of a room, on of the first thing you notice. Why do people buy beautiful lamps, tables etc. even if sometimes the design is not as practical, comfortable or durable as it could have been? Because most people like their home to look good.

It's also a way to differentiate the older devices with the newer ones. It'll make some people think they should probably replace their old looking computer at some point. Basically it's no different than with cars, as new models come out the older ones look old and outdated.

Reactions: the future

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
To be fair, it is lighter and easier to move around. Granted, this is not a laptop, but sometimes you want to bring your rig with you for whatever reason. I like that the newer iMacs are thin and light.

That is literally why I chose a 21" iMac recently. Well-that. And the fact my laptops were becoming rather 'spirited' in a sudden shut-down, constant crash sort of way..not good.

Primary needs in order of importance:

Stability
Stability
Stability
And I can pick it up and move it from desk to desk for no other reason than, I want to.
I'm in the market for a couple OEM Apple power cords to make the move from desk to desk just that much easier.
i7 w/4cores, blistering fast storage, a fabulous (imo) new os, plenty of RAM (for me) straight from Apple, and it's fully upgradable.

What's not to like? Perfect product at the perfect time for me so, kudo's to Apple from my viewpoint.

It really is a badass little computer.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Jun 11, 2011
I have a 2012 iMac and a 2012 Macbook Pro.
It's ironic and stupid that it's the Macbook Pro I use for all my DVD/CD tasks.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I have a 2012 iMac and a 2012 Macbook Pro.
It's ironic and stupid that it's the Macbook Pro I use for all my DVD/CD tasks.
yeah, i miss that DVD drive instead of looking for a USB "a,b,c" chord and praying the deprived USB sockets werk on the mini 2012, but dont miss dvds getting stuck in my powerbook G4 and were force eject means the disc goes shooting across the cafe. decapitating innocent cafine addicts while the barista sing the game of thrones theme while moping up the remnants of severed aortic arteries in a bulgarian dialect!
[doublepost=1542463901][/doublepost]
The purchaser rules whatever you are buying. Don't like it buy something else ~ like a Dell?
they make thin things too

Reactions: pwm86 and Glmnet1

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
I think it's as simple as they made it so thin because it makes it look impressive, modern, and desirable.

During the launch event for the thinner iMac in 2012, Phil Schiller makes some comment along the lines of "Isn't it amazing how the new thing makes the previous one suddenly look so old?", and he was absolutely right. I was watching that event on a 2011 iMac 27 that up to that point I had thought was beautiful-looking, but the reveal of the thinner iMac instantly rendered it dated in my eyes.

Reactions: Glmnet1

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
Pretty sure the 21" imac is not upgradeable. everything soldered.
27" can upgrade RAM.
Nope - the 21" iMac's storage, ram, and even cpu is upgradeable b/c it's not soldered-in. The ram is a pita to get to so I opted for 16ram from Apple. It's a great computer.

Reactions: old-wiz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.