Why Mavericks. Any good?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by novetan, Aug 31, 2014.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

I cant install Telegram due to Snow Leopard V10.6 and it has to be 10.7 and above. My friend urge me to install Maverick which is free and therefore can install Telegram.

Questions:
    How long has the free program Maverick has been out? If its free, why should people still pay to upgrade their Snow Leopard to Lion or Mountain Lion. Where's the catch?

Do anyone experience any bad issue with Mavericks? I'm afraid after upgraded, my files or program may go haywire. I read from some review there are people regretted after installing, yet many are equally happy.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From Wikipedia
    No catch, prior to Mavericks operating system upgrades were a paid upgrade, now they're free. Apple made the change, but they didn't do that retro-actively, i.e., make older ones free.

There are people who have had bad experiences with Mavericks, like every other version of OS X. No operating system is perfect or bug free, but 10.9 is one of Apple's more stable and solid upgrades. Most people had zero issues imo.

My biggest piece of advise before doing any upgrade and to make sure you have a solid backup process in place. Stuff happens and if the upgrade process does fail (it shouldn't) you have your data backed up.

3. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much for info. Very much appreciate.

4. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

How old is your machine? Apple said my early 2008 iMac could support Mavericks, and it did, but the performance lags. I frequently get the spinning beach ball.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I put off upgrading my late-09 Mini Server to Mavericks until about 6 weeks ago. I had tried Mountain Lion and was unhappy with the (at least perceived) performance dip, so I was reluctant to go to Mavericks. Finally decided to go for it and have been very pleasantly surprised. My Mini is at least as-fast as it was with Snow Leopard, possible even a tick more responsive (though that is probably just from a clean install, as my SL install had some miles on it lol).

I have no beefs with Mavericks. I'm running a 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB of RAM, a 620GB "Fusion" drive (120GB SSD, 500GB HDD), and Geforce 9400M graphics a- I'm not on the low end of the requirements at all, but I'm definitely not high-end either.

I really only have two complaints... I HATE the new Time Machine icon (it's not animated) and where's my "beach" screensaver? :p Luckily I had previously (i.e., a LONG time ago, back in the 10.3 days) saved the "beach" pictures to make the screensaver for a PC, so I have them and can still run it as a "pictures" slideshow. :)

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Suggestion: with older Macs jump up the memory to 8MB, max 6MB in some older machines. Replace HD with SSD. Upgrade to Mavericks for best memory management. Those steps will give older Macs a new lease on life. :D