Why movies?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Brewerpaul, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point of downloading movies into the Touch to watch them on a tiny screen (with my 58 yr old geezer eyes :rolleyes:). OK, maybe I'd download a movie if I was going on a long plane flight with no entertainment, but other than that I can't imagine sitting around watching a movie for two hours on a little handheld device-- especially when I've got a 46" TV with a great sound system.
    I do watch YouTube videos from time to time to kill a few minutes, but I can't imagine wasting memory space on a whole movie.
    Am I missing something?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Long commutes via train/bus/etc?

3. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

you arent missing anything...however, your lifestyle and choice of entertainment is different than other people's lifestyle and choice of entertainment.

the tiny screen works great when your career needs you to fly constantly and you become trapped in economy class seating, stuck at the in-laws when all you want to do is have your own godfather marathon, or any other number of small reasons that other people find the need to watch movies over what other options they have at the moment.

i too have a great HD set up in my home, but my work out equipment is not in the same room, so when i am on my treadmill its nice to be able to use something nice and compact to keep me entertained when my monthly magazines have lost their excitement and i have nothing left but the wall.

also...could be your "geezer" eyes.

4. Jethro70 macrumors newbie

I plan to put one movie on my Touch when I get it -- Star Wars: The Clone Wars. And that's only because I bought the version with the digital copy... I have it, so I'll put it on.

Can't really see putting any others on there, though... I guess it will depend on how roomy 32 GB feels.

5. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

it's a good point. I greatly anticipated having movies on my iphone, but the viewing experience is just not great. However, TV shows I think do translate well to that size screen, since they are much shorter and are often produced in a format that doesn't render the tiny screen helpless (i.e. sweeping panoramic shots)

6. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I was a photo editor for a newspaper in NJ. Everyday I put 1 movie, and a few episodes of the simpsons or family guy on my iPhone each day.

They are great to have if you have a job that is a little laid back.

I would handbreak the movie before going beddiebuy, and sync in in the morning. Since I left that job I have ripped maybe 3 movies.

PS: The job I have now is even more laid back. My boss got me a tivo with a dvd burning unit and I have an extra iMac on my deskfor watching DVD's, Hulu, or Instant Netflix. SRY just bragging...

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The iPod touch is the best device iPod to have movies on, not connect on.
    Yes, compared to your 46 inch TV that's nothing, but at least the screen isn't the size of the iPod nano's screen.

8. blueglide macrumors member

blueglide

I'm in the Navy and it works great for when my Destroyer is out to sea or on deployment. Our "racks" don't have much room in them and theirs a reason we call them "coffin racks":) It's so much easier to ewatch movies or shows in the iPOD then have to lay awkward in my rack to make room for my macbook.

9. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Its great for watching snippets of movies on the go. I don't always have time to watch a movie start to finish in one sitting, so I watch what I can and then turn finish it later as the opportunity arises (usually while waiting or riding light rail, taking a break at work, or sitting in the coffee shop). What I like most, though, is watching podcasts, which aren't like drama that you may want to see in one sitting.

10. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Some interesting replies, with some ideas I hadn't thought of. I like the podcast idea, and using the Touch while on the treadmill. Thanks.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If you've got your reading glasses on, and put the Touch on your chest 1/13th the distance of your TV from you while laying on the Sofa, the screen will appear just as large as that 46" TV. Yes, not quite the same experience but great when your power is out. When an ice storm took out our power for 5 days last winter the movies on my Touch were great entertainment. That and my 2" Casio TV were are distraction from the cold.

12. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I guess it's just me

For me, a movie is about a good story, not how big I can see some actor's face or how loud an explosion is.

13. tdmom macrumors newbie

May I ask, how do you view it while on the treadmill? Do you have to hold it in your hands or do you put it somewhere on some sort of a stand or something? Please explain if you don't mind. Thanks.

14. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

http://www.inyourfaceusa.com/

the creators are a very nice couple who thrive on customer service.
    use 5115 as a coupon code to save $10 (if it still works).

the thing is amazing, and i have found so many uses for it.

15. tdmom macrumors newbie

WOW, thank you so very, very much! I'll have to save up for it, but it looks like an awesome invention. Thanks again!:)

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its the best PMP out there right now.

And no, I dont consider those bricks called archos portable.

17. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

download movies from itunes to iphone/ipod touch, use the video connect cables..presto they appear on tv.

18. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

I trevel a lot with work, and I dont find it that bad watching movies on my iPhone (same screen as touch), its certainly a lot better than trying to watch them on my classic.

There are, as others have pionted out, video out cables for all rescent iPods/iPhones that let you output your videos on TV, The Touch/iPhone/Classic (NOT 5G) can even output component video. and the quality is quite good

19. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Hey, I watched three movies coming back from Geelong on my 3G nano. After a few minutes I got used to it (and noticed the screen was tilted...).

20. mongorama macrumors newbie

I think I only tend to watch ipod touch video on the treadmill. My brother likes to keep all of his Disney movies on iPod for his kids. It's a real life saver for when he's suddenly stuck somewhere and his munchkins start getting antsy.

21. muldul macrumors 6502

I travel by train twice a day, and sometimes on the bus as well, i have a few movies on their that i watch over the course of several train/bus journeys.

22. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Answering my own OP here..
    I was browsing the iTunes store and found the Cult of UHF video podcast site.
    You can download all sorts of gloriously bad B-movies from the '50s and '60s, many in full black in white.
    I am now the happy owner of what is widely regarded as the worst movie ever made: Plan 9 From Outer Space ! :)

23. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I don't end up watching many movies on the ipod but when I used to commute to school by train it was nice every once in a while.

Movies are one thing that I don't feel the need for a huge capacity iPod though. I can get by with just one or two between syncs, when I'm going on the road I usually take the macbook with me anyway.

SLC

24. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I disagree, "Manos:The Hands of Fate" is a much, much worse movie. :) As to the iPod Touch, I find being able to watch videos on it to be a great feature. It's just one more entertainment option when you're sitting in a waiting room somewhere.