Why multitask?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thunderbunny, Sep 1, 2010.

1. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

I had been looking forward to multitasking on iPad but have now started to wonder exactly why I might need this. On iPhone I can see advantage of returning to an app I was using when receiving phone call(if anyone ever called me...) or text, but on iPad most apps I might need to switch between save whatever when exiting.

So unless I need a break from eating smaller fish to unleash hell on naughty green pigs what use is it?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Listening to pandora while reading? for an example

3. iThinman macrumors regular

i wonder if Bill would have made his fortune if it was Window instead of Windows

4. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

One thing I use it for is white noise and reading. I don't like it being completely silent when I read but hate loud noises. So I put on white noise and start reading. Very peaceful.

Plus I hate having safari reload every time I open. Backgrounding cancels that.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

You should be able to use Skype in the background.

6. kalex macrumors 65816

Instant messaging, music, using web and texting or doing something else at the same time, but ye who needs it. I can always sit there and wait until my IM buddy responds to me. iFail

7. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

lol... good one!

8. lozpop macrumors 6502

Reading Flipboard, goin to Safari to open an article, and then coming back to Flipboard where I left it, without relaunching and reloading it.

And also, switching between a game and a chat without closing every time the game, but just pausing it.

I think there're tons of great and useful examples.

9. nospamjl macrumors newbie

How about an alarm clock. I can get aone at the store for a couple of bucks. Works when off as well...

Only a small mortgage on an iPad and it can't even do that.

10. mkaake macrumors 65816

Not having to decide if the new email i just heard i received is important enough to make me go through the 3 minute ritual required to close netflix, check the email, and start watching my movie again where i left off?

That's easily my #1 frustration right now, but it applies to a lot of different applications that aren't 'instant on' when you start them up.

11. lozpop macrumors 6502

+1

There're a lot of "small" situations that really require Multitasking.:mad:

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

Of course the irony is that very few of these situations are really multitasking as opposed to an app just saving its state and resuming from exactly where it left off. Any app could theoretically already do that in previous versions of iOS, it's just that iOS 4 essentially makes it automatic for the developer and a bit snappier for the end user.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You never got interrupted just as the money shot was about to happen? I want to be able to go right back to the spot without having to reload the damn page.

14. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Using IM+ while surfing the web or doing other stuff

15. blomma macrumors member

blomma

It is a fair bit faster for the os to not have to reopen an application every time you switch, so even if every application properly saved state you would still benefit from multitasking. Multitasking in this case just helps alleviate the common use pattern for iPad, something im sure was the whole point when developing it (multitasking).

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I wonder if Bill would have made his fortune if Apple hadn't released "Windows" first? :)

* ... and Steve Jobs if he hadn't ripped off Xerox.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you can already do that, you just have to wait for IM+ to sign back in :p

i wish multitasking would HURRY UP. i am using my iPad at uni, need sometihng to easilly change between a word editor and a pdf/ppt editor (and use IM and safari of course) hehe. but it doesnt exist. grr

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Which is why i haven't turned off the forward to my vtext email addy on verizon. I can check the 160 character version and decide!

19. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Even if you don't use the multitasking, the "quick switch" bar is really useful. Much easier than going back to the home screen, finding the app and opening it, then doing the same to go back to the app you were in.

20. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

This is the type of thing I want it for.

21. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Idk.
    I hope there is some way to turn it off on 4.2.
    Multitasking on my iPhone pisses me off.
    I don't want it on my iPad.

22. funkyc macrumors regular

funkyc

why is that? can u only successfully concentrate on doing one thing at a time? :confused:

i'd love to be able to surf the net, reply an email, chat on IM, and take notes in class all at the same time on my ipad! :cool:

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

quick switch bar? is that like the dock?

24. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

The bar that pops up when you double-click the home button...whatever the "official" name for it is.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry yeh - im outdated (for once ;) ). its the "multitasking" that apple is implementing for iPad. hardly.