Why must I be jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by palz, Apr 29, 2010.

1. palz macrumors regular

I have wondered, why can't I access the root filesystem (directory /) on my iDevice without it being jailbroken?

Is there a way to do this without jailbreaking?

Sorry, very n00bish :)

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, because that file system area is not available unless you are.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The reason for this is security and to prevent end user from messing with their iDevices. There is no way to write to the root file system, but there are a few ways to read from it. Caution it requires that your are a registered developer.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    Apple doesn't one anyone having acess to the OS filesystem unfortunatelly.

5. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

This may be a Noob answer to a "Noob Question"

I have the Air Sharing app, that I got from the app store.

And YOU can use ON DEVICE SSH in that app..and I just checked it now and u can actually "Edit" the files in the device...not sure how much you can Edit, I know you can add stuff, I didn;t even want to attempt to delete files.

But yeah, you may want to check out Air Sharing App to SSH your files.

6. romeo22 macrumors member

Does that mean we can change icons and perhaps change the iphone theme?

7. palz thread starter macrumors regular

But how do they stop you from doing that?
    I have access to /var/mobile/Media/DCIM and /var/mobile/Media (with 3rd party programs), but not anything else.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No it means you can only change things within the Apps directory.

Stop us from doing what? Accessing the root file system? simple they edit the service that that allows the iTunes media access to prevent root access. Jailbreaking changes this service to all access to everything.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

To really understand this, you have to understand Unix (actually BSD) file permissions. Apple has basically locked us out of the file system, using a Unix command called chroot to create a chroot jail. This isolates user-run processes by changing the apparent root directory. All applications on your phone are within that chroot jail, and therefore do not have access to any other part of the file system. All of them see /var/mobile/ as the root directory, and have permission to access only two subfolders within that directory.

This is done by design, to create a more secure environment and to allow Apple greater control over your device. Jailbreaking, as you might be able to guess, is the process of breaking that chroot jail so that you, the user, can access the rest of the file system. Unless you jailbreak your phone, by definition you will be unable to access the real root folder of your phone.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very good post.

11. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

Second this

12. palz thread starter macrumors regular

Can I hack this, like fake being iTunes, which obviously can during fw updates and such?

I do not mean to jailbreak-- add cydia or other apps, I just mean to modify the SpringBoard application to include some extra features.

13. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Not possible.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

By hacking it, you would be jailbreaking your phone. Cydia is not a required element of jailbreaking.

Why not just jailbreak it ? Sounds like you are essentially hung up on terminology.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Trust us Irish to try and jump through hoops, take four times longer, invest more time and energy than required to achieve the exact same thing everyone else is doing just to avoid 'terminology'....

Seriously Palz, just wait for the new spirit jailbreak. It will make theming a lot easier than any other method. Despite it's risks, your less likely to bog it up than messing about trying to crack open the file structure yourself.

16. ILikeToJB macrumors member

And with the Spirit Jailbreak, since its an OTA Jailbreak, if something goes wrong, and they detect its Jailbroken, you can just say, "Oh I was on a website, and I accidentally clicked a link and this new app appeared. I thought it was a wireless update from Apple so I started using it." or something along those lines.

17. palz thread starter macrumors regular

what do you mean by OTA? and what does it mean that spirit is a 'userland' jailbreak? Userland to me means /usr/bin, etc :rolleyes:

18. palz thread starter macrumors regular

And what exactly does iTunes do to edit the root folder? Does it have its own user?

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Userland means that the jailbreak runs after the OS is loaded. Most jailbreaks must kick in before the OS is loaded because they need to modify iBoot to break the chmod jail.

Listen, if you want to access the root folder, you will have to jailbreak your phone. In fact, whether you try to come up with your own hack to break the chmod jail or use one of the very effective jailbreak apps others have made freely available, if you obtain access to the root folder you will by definition have jailbroken your phone. Why are you making this so much harder than it already is?