Why my Mac wake up when received new email?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brotherludi, Jun 1, 2011.

1. brotherludi macrumors newbie

My Mac wakes up from sleep when the "Mail" received a new email...How come?? How to turn this function off??
    p.s. I have already turned the "Wake for network access" off in the "Energy Saver". but this doesn't help :(

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X and Mail version do you use?
    Strange though, that the Mac wakes up when new email arrives. Are you sure about that? As the Mac is asleep, it can't check for new mail, thus it shouldn't wake from such event, as it doesn't know about new emails anyway.
    Have you tried an SMC reset yet?
    Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Btw, there is no need to make more than one thread about the same topic.

3. brotherludi thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard; Mail is the current version as well. I check update every week, so they are not old versions..I am pretty sure about that, it already happen several times..
    Will I lose my computer settings and informations when I reset the SMC?

Sorry about that..I post it in a wrong place(hardware) at the first time, but I didn't know how to delete it...

4. brotherludi thread starter macrumors newbie

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If you have the computer hooked up to power it may not actually be asleep. It may just be your display that is asleep. You can check your energy saver settings in system preferences.

6. brotherludi thread starter macrumors newbie

I am pretty sure it was sleeping, because I closed the lid, and the sleep indicater light was flashing. I sent myself an email from another computer, then I heard "Bing" from my Mac; that indicates I got an email. I turned around and I saw the sleep indicater light was not flashing anymore.This was happen yesterday.
    Sometimes I didn't close the lid, but it was sleeping (I put it into sleep, and I double checked the sleep indicter light was flashing). and the screen lights on, when I got an email.
    :confused::confused::confused: