Why need to bring iPhone 3G in to store to activate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LewisNYC, Jun 18, 2009.

1. LewisNYC macrumors member

I need to step out of the "where's my iPhone" thread for a second!! :eek:

In their press announcement about tomorrow's launch, at&t says that if you are inheriting an old iPhone 3G, you need to come to the store to activate it.

Why? Why can't I just put the SIM from the phone it's replacing in, call CS and have them add the iPhone 3G data plan, and move on with my life?

Am I missing something?

2. nerdyone macrumors newbie

I'm curious too. I hate going into AT&T stores. I used to be a sales manager for a store in King of Prussia PA, and I know how shaddy those guys are. The stuff we used to get away with was crazy!

For awhile there, they were paying us $15 a pop for every text message plan we sold (back in 2002). You can imagine the amount of sales pressure we put on people. I was making close to six figure, in a mall, at the age of 24. Now you couldn't pay me to go back in there.

3. Jaredcwood macrumors newbie

This is actually extremely valuable information for me. Now i really dont think I have to stand out in front of the store in cold rain for hours to get it.

Thanks for this link!

4. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I thought you could just go through the activation process via iTunes? Good thing my wife already has a iPhone plan and is taking over my 3G when her (read mine) 3G S arrives tomorrow. (If it arrives.)

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It makes no sense unless they think they need to give people new SIM cards. I had a 2G that I activated at home with my old Cingular SIM card and then I activated my iPhone 3G at home when I ordered it from at&t online.