Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
It is one thing when better tech comes along and older stuff won't run new protocols. (BT 4.0 vs BT 2)

It is another thing entirely when the distinction is "CREATED" via a whitelist that only lets certain machines use the same hardware that is blocked in others.

Yes, Apple has been doing it for years. But now there are no more machines being made that could have different internal parts it is going to be a lot easier for Apple to generously hand features to one machine that another could easily have as well, if Apple had not decided that it's "too old".

I guess part of me just doesn't like the thought process. If I pop the BT 4.0 USB stick out of my 2009 while no internal BT connected I can only connect with "older macs" (direct quote). Put it back in and I get the choice of those poor, limited "older macs" or the other shiny, new, proper machines like mine.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
I think that this assessment is incorrect in that sure you may feel restricted running a closed os and that companies hardware but Apple has always been this way. Only a few Power Macs and Mac Pros were you able to update the hardware and even then it was limited for example they never used regular standards like ATX thus eliminating aftermarket cases, cooling, power supplies, motherboards and even some graphics cards due to the size restrictions.

Be aware of the ecosystem you are buying into when dropping that much bread and in the end be thankful its not a G4 cube :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.