why no 17 glossy i7 sku in store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim2006, Jun 13, 2010.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

why no 17 glossy i7 sku in store? there are no i7 17 in any reseller and only i7 anti glare in apple store. last gen there was the 2.8 core 2 duo 17 in all stores. why no 17 i7 gloss in bestbuy? not enough demand?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The i7 is a BTO/CTO option only. Sometimes the Apple store will have one preconfigured but it's not the usual.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Stores have i7's. I've seen people buy them and know some people who have them.

Typically those who are going for a system that big will be photographers or video editors. They don't like gloss. I don't like gloss as a designer either. My i5 AG is F'n sexy. Use the AG and you'll know.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wrong, and there's no proof of that being the typical customer for a 17"MBP. The OP asked for a glossy model, why are you trying to sell him on an AG model? :rolleyes:

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Many people don't want the AG because the font size is so tiny. Some people don't have problems with the tiny font but many people do. I think you would see many more people getting the AG if they didn't have to get the high res along with it.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

They're talking about 17" models here, not the 15".

7. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

no i7 17 at all at best buy and only i7 17 antiglare at apple store, why?

8. Reapur macrumors regular

Because Best Buy only stocks the entry level model macs. The Apple store will carry the glossy display, they are probably sold out because its the most popular option. Antiglare is preferred by creative professionals and the glossy is preferred by average consumers because it "looks cooler" which is why they are sold out. If you cant wait for the Apple store to get the machines in stock then you should order it from www.apple.com/store and get one shipped to you.

9. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Reapur macrumors regular

They are sold out order it online and stop complaining. Nothing we say or do will change that.

11. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

you dont understand. there is no sku in a store of 17 glossy i7, it is only bto order.

the question is not buying advice regarding 17s its last gen apple had the fastest chip in the i7 no only the 15 has a glossy sku, which can be found in stores, of the i7. i understand it can be ordered. i am wondering why did apple set up the skus this way, i know they can be altered bto.

12. Reapur macrumors regular

All my local Apple stores (3 within 30 min of each other) regularly stock glossy i7 17 inch MBPs, like i said earlier Best Buy does not carry the i7 period because they only stock base model i5 MBPs. Coming here will not change that fact, order it online and be done with it. Apple Stores do stock i7 17 inch Glossy MBPs if they dont have them then they are temporarily out of stock.

All this is assuming you live in USA or Canada. Since you said you checked Best Buy, a little advice tho if you proof read your questions and had clear and concise statements, getting answers to said questions would be much easier.

13. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure I follow. The previous generation 17" MBP were available as 2.8 ghz c2d standard and 3.06 GHz C2D as an optional upgrade. Most Apple stores would stock the base config with either the glossy or antiglare screen. The 3.06 GHz processors were stocked in certain stores like the flagship stores, but usually only with the antiglare screen. As someone earlier posted, this is probably because the higher spec'd machines were catering to the creative professionals who preferred the antiglare screen.

After the update, the situAtion is still similar. Most stores still stock the base i5 in antiglare and glossy, but the CTO i7 are usually only available as antiglare. pple surely does a lot of research on sales trends and statistics and they usually only stock the CTO models which are fast moving.

14. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

15. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

16. sadcamper macrumors regular

At some point someone(?) at Apple decides what configurations to carry in-store. This time around, they decided the 17" i5 would be glossy, and the i7 would be matte. It could be because they want to up-sell the customer who prefers the matte screen, or it could be because they follow the "pro's want matte" logic. Only :apple: knows.