Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
I'm wondering why there is no 1TB SSD option available on the new rMB?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 1TB SSD is the same size as a 512GB SSD, right?
Would it be more power-hungry?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I'm wondering why there is no 1TB SSD option available on the new rMB?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 1TB SSD is the same size as a 512GB SSD, right?
Would it be more power-hungry?
Not necessarily. It depends on the size of the NAND chips. I assume that Apple lacks space on that small motherboard, but it is merely a guess. It could be a way of woving customers to the MBP.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Not necessarily. It depends on the size of the NAND chips. I assume that Apple lacks space on that small motherboard, but it is merely a guess. It could be a way of woving customers to the MBP.

If space on the PCB was an issue Apple could just have made it slightly larger since it was a new design.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Not nessecarily

If space on the PCB was an issue Apple could just have made it slightly larger since it was a new design.

The new design was geared towards as much battery space as they could, and that trade off of SSD space and battery life for a small, light, portable and ultimately fairly low powered machine will always go in favour of battery life.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The possible explanations are almost endless. Perhaps Apple was concerned that demand for a very small computer with a large SSD and a very large MSRP would be very small.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The new design was geared towards as much battery space as they could, and that trade off of SSD space and battery life for a small, light, portable and ultimately fairly low powered machine will always go in favour of battery life.

The amount of space required would likely equate to no more time than single digit or in the teens so you can not say for sure that's why.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I never said that was for sure..

The amount of space required would likely equate to no more time than single digit or in the teens so you can not say for sure that's why.

I said not necessarily.
It is my view of a reason for it, and of course it pushes those needing more space into the pro line.
Having taken a good look at the logic board there really is no more space on it though and that seems as reasonable an explanation as any!!!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I said not necessarily.

It is my view of a reason for it, and of course it pushes those needing more space into the pro line.

Having taken a good look at the logic board there really is no more space on it though and that seems as reasonable an explanation as any!!!

I agree that there is no extra space on the logic board, in its current form. The point I was trying to make was that since it was a new design it would have been trivial to design the board just a little bit bigger to allow for the added storage. I do agree that they are walking a fine line as far as battery life goes.

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC

Every little bit counts. Edit: Remember that the rMB is the cumulative sum of many, many, many "just a tiny little bit" decisions. No, putting this one thing, or that one thing in doesn't make a real difference. But when you start piling things in for niche markets, soon you're at a very different machine.

And they probably came to the conclusion that they would sell too few of them to bother with. They don't exactly sell a lot, even in the Pro.

Last edited:

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
Because some people like me hardly ever use more than 100 GB of space.

I don't store music and I don't store movies. The only thing that ever takes up space on my laptop are my photos. About 10,000 of them.

To some people, less is more. Smaller is better. If I ever needed more than 256 GB of space, I'd feel very unorganized. I can't ever imagine needing more space than this, unless the OS itself takes up too much space and my photo collection grows. But even the 10k photos I have take up no more than 20 GB of space.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Because some people like me hardly ever use more than 100 GB of space.

I don't store music and I don't store movies. The only thing that ever takes up space on my laptop are my photos. About 10,000 of them.

To some people, less is more. Smaller is better. If I ever needed more than 256 GB of space, I'd feel very unorganized. I can't ever imagine needing more space than this, unless the OS itself takes up too much space and my photo collection grows. But even the 10k photos I have take up no more than 20 GB of space.

Good thing you have the option for 256 GB. Too bad those who want more can't get more. It would be an option in the build to order models so it wouldn't change anything for you. They have the 1.3 GHz for people who want more. They could have done the same for 1 TB (provided it was possible).

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
Good thing you have the option for 256 GB. Too bad those who want more can't get more. It would be an option in the build to order models so it wouldn't change anything for you. They have the 1.3 GHz for people who want more. They could have done the same for 1 TB (provided it was possible).

1.3GHz is a drop in replacement. I'm pretty sure that 1TB would have required more chips.

Ergo, selling the 1.3 is easy. Selling more storage requires a different design.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
1.3GHz is a drop in replacement. I'm pretty sure that 1TB would have required more chips.

Ergo, selling the 1.3 is easy. Selling more storage requires a different design.

I was specifically arguing against his point that he doesn't need more. Others want/need it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

The same has been true for the MBA line, though. It's possible that demand for the 1TB SSDs is microscopic - we don't really know.

saifrc

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
When it comes to storage, the price/capacity curve is sometimes concave, and sometimes convex, depending on the maturity of the technology. It might be that Apple would have had to charge significantly more for a 1TB option in order to ensure their required margins, and they didn't project there to be enough demand for it. I'd be interested to see, when the dust settles, how many people went for the 256 option and how many picked 512. (I ordered a gold 1.2/512 model.)

I would bet that the next revision of the MacBook line will offer a 1TB option. At the same time, I don't think that large local storage requirements are entirely consistent with what appears to be the "purpose" of the MacBook, which is to interface with other devices and with the cloud wirelessly. I put "purpose" in quotes to emphasize that everyone's use case is different, but people will, on average, use a MacBook differently from how people will, on average, use a MacBook Pro or iMac.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
256 GB for the base model is too much! i used 11'' Macbook air with 128 GB for years and i recently checked that i only used like 75 GB of it because i only used it for travelling...

It would've been best if they introduced a 999$ model with 128 GB but i guess that's what they will do next year..

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
256 GB for the base model is too much! i used 11'' Macbook air with 128 GB for years and i recently checked that i only used like 75 GB of it because i only used it for travelling...

It would've been best if they introduced a 999$ model with 128 GB but i guess that's what they will do next year..

Price aside, I went with the 512GB because I'd like to store my entire music collection on the MacBook as well as a few movies. I can't always count on having WIFI for streaming music while on the road. I also assumed that OSX applications were larger than IOS applications. Is this not true?

By the way Clean My Mac 3 is a wonderful product that keeps finding junk and saving me space on my Macs. No I don't work for the company. It is a very good until that saves me a lot of drive space.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I would rather they have a 128 model for 200 less.

Yup, same i always buy the base. I upgrade more often times than not. All my pictures are kept on a external HD, along with my movies. I only stream Netflix, Hulu or Sling TV and music on my Macbook if i even watch media on it. Youtube gets used the most if anything. All my movies get watched on my 65" TV, WHILE i browse the web on my Macbook :D.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
Next year will probably slash 100$ price of the base model (like they did with MBPs) and introduce a new 999$ model....

That's when the all new Macbook Air is released with two USB-C ports and wireless charging that will make the Macbook look like a netbook from 1999!

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Next year will probably slash 100$ price of the base model (like they did with MBPs) and introduce a new 999$ model....

That's when the all new Macbook Air is released with two USB-C ports and wireless charging that will make the Macbook look like a netbook from 1999!

Funny with Apple lately, i believe that lol. Or i seen them putting out a 14" MBR for $1299 and make the current MBR $999 with a .1 ghz CPU bump :D

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The answer is quite simple.

Even Apple knew that almost no one would pay another $500 just to get 1TB.

People can tell the difference from stupid impulse price and stupid rich impulse price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.