Why no aftermarket camera & app for iPad dock connector

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 31, 2010.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Why haven't anyone done a camera that plugs into dock connector along with a camera app for the iPad?

Would be cool to have a front and rear camera as an asscessory like the Apple camera kit

2. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I wonder the same thing. It has to be possible. I think the main reason is the same as to why a ton of apps haven't been updated. The iPad is just like the Newton in a lot of way...the bastard child that got orphaned when Apple overlapped the iPhone 4...and developers are going to go with the 10s of millions vs. millions.

Why else would you still have Facebook interface still running in iPhone res??? WTH! And why cant a developer add a freaking fwd delete key...or arrow keys? Double WTH!

Just my thinking.

3. moomog macrumors member

I am with you on those arrow keys friend

4. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

It will certainly be technically possible but I suspect that apple has not published the necessary APIs that programmers would need to get an app to talk to the hardware. In fact I don't think that apple makes any APIs available to vendors who want to add 3rd party hardware functionality.

I guess if they made this possible there would be less temptation to upgrade to iPad 2 when it comes out! ;)

5. urkel macrumors 68030

When was it that Apple made a huge deal about all the cool things you can do with dock connector peripherals. 2 years ago?

The "Possibilities" of utilizing the dock connector to expand iOS devices is there, but the realization has been completely ignored and forgotten. Its a shame because I really thought that we were going to see some cool stuff.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

The Scosche camera was vapor-y then and it hasn't been heard from in six months. I'm guessing it never got off the ground.