Why no Airplay on 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by facultydisco, Nov 22, 2010.

1. facultydisco macrumors newbie

So this awesome new Airplay seems to be missing from my 3GS cant stream videos and my mac doesnt find it on Airplay list.

Magical!

Is it just me or is it spose to be missing?

Help much appreciated!

2. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Do you have a 2nd generation AppleTV or any compatible AirPlay speakers (don't even know if any are out yet)?

If not, then you have nothing on your LAN to which you can AirPlay from you device.

3. crh3ff macrumors member

I have an AirPort Express and 3GS, and I couldn't do Airplay with it last night...

4. deannnnn, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I'm pretty sure Airplay is unsupported on 3GS.

EDIT: Nevermind. Direct from the Apple website: "AirPlay and Game Center are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (2nd generation and later)."

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

It is supported for music. But the OP apparently wants to stream videos--not music. I finally upgraded today and that was the first thing I tried. I tested Slacker to port my iPhone to my Airport Express so I could listen to music in the morning with my coffee--works great! That is really the main thing I wanted to do--port music to my Airport Express from any music app and it seems to do that fine.:)

6. crh3ff macrumors member

Yep, nothing on my 3GS. Os 4.2.1. On the iPad, i didn't have to do anything special...it was just right there in the iPod app. No speaker selection on the 3GS.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Streaming from the YouTube app to an AppleTV works fine on my 3GS. I have a first gen Time Capsule as my router, everything works as expected

8. JLV macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone3GS and iPhone4 in the house, both running 4.2.1. Also, I have four Airport Expresses. The iPhone4 can connect to the Airports but the 3GS doesn't have to option to connect.

And to make it even more magical you can only connect to one Airport at a time with the iPhone4.

9. yvrcan macrumors newbie

iphone 3gs and ipod 2nd gen do support airplay

although the icon used to select speakers on the 3GS or ipod 2nd generation is not that easy to spot it is there in the lower right hand corner and I was able to use both devices to stream to my home stereo connected to an airport express.

A bonus is that I can also stream from radio apps that have been updated to take advantage of airplay.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

^^

Since I don't have an iPhone 4, I was having a hard time understanding why some 3GS's were able to use AirPlay and some were not--I found the little box right away-- so I did wonder if maybe the interface was slightly different--glad to know it does work for everyone. :)

11. dlep30 macrumors newbie

I have a 3gs and airplay icon shows up only upon hard reboot of the phone. Then when the phone goes to sleep the icon is no longer present. This does not happen on my wife's iPhone 4, nor on my 3G iPad, nor my wife's wifi iPad. All three of those devices work flawlessly with airplay at all times so far.