Why no Airplay on Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by marty1980, Oct 23, 2012.

1. marty1980 macrumors 6502

I don't understand why there is not Airplay support on the Mac Mini. Sure; Apple TV is a great TV box, but shouldn't the Mac Mini provide the same functionality considering it's the perfect size for putting under your television?

I understand that Apple TV runs a version of iOS. Maybe this is part of the reason. But it seems that Apple is holding back on this for an unknown reason.

I'd like Airplay for my TV. I have a mid-2007 Mac Mini and considering an upgrade.

I have a 3D Smart TV, so I don't need an Apple TV for anything in particular. I have a fairly powerful PC already connected to my television for gaming.

Somebody... is there a reason there is no Airplay support on Mac desktops? What is the reason? Any news of it coming in future update?

2. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

How exactly are you arriving at this conclusion? Isn't Airplay built into Mountain Lion?

3. marty1980 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mountain Lion is not supported on my Mac mini. I was unaware that Mountain Lion included Airplay support... bummer, but good news if you are correct.

Thanks!

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Mountain Lion supports sending Airplay from OS X to an AppleTV, but not receiving... which I think is what the OP was wanting. I agree, it would be cool.

5. marty1980 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. That is what I would like to be able to do.

6. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

There are 3rd party utilities that enable AirPlay receiver functionality on OS X. Google it.

Anyway, AirPlay has nothing to do with hardware refresh. It's a function of software.

7. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, that would be cool, I'd imagine it's a feature that's really only useful for someone using it as a media center though.