Why no Apple Watch iPad love?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MrGimper, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Apart from trying to sell more iPhones, is there any reason why the Watch couldn't work/pair with a cellular iPad?

OK so you don't have cellular call capabilities on an iPad itself, but it's more likely to be the device that's packed away and out of reach.

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

uh are you really gonna use ur ipad exercising? :rolleyes:

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nobody is going to be carrying their iPad with them all waking hours.

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

You've never caught some netflix while on the treadmill?

5. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Not everyone will use the AW as a fitness band.

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

My iPad Air 2 actually goes everywhere with me, I carry it in my backpack. It comes in handy for movies, TV, books, etc. Maybe demand will increase and Apple will include it in a future upgrade.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

ok, so yes you wearing an apple watch prevents you from taking your ipad out of your pocket? :rolleyes:

the ipad is not portable, it's always out, no need for a device to tether of it unlike the phone which is always on your pocket and can be a hassle to take out.

8. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

That's the example I meant.

Most people have their phone within easy reach. Seems that a device such as the iPad which people tend to pack into bags, not carry around the home/office etc would benefit more from the watch

9. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Apple watch is designed to work with something that you can easy carry on you (in your pockets etc) iPad is not that kind of device.

10. hemolyzer macrumors member

Yeah, it's in a bag while your iPhone is still in your pocket inches away from your watch.

11. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Yeah I get that, but why limit it like that.

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I see where this question is going and thought about it myself. Its not the idea that you tie the watch to the iPad and drag the iPad around. The idea is that your devices are connected and meant to work as a singular device or at least synced sources that provide very similar experience. Why not have the watch tie to the iPad and the iPhone since both if connected the same account will have the same basic info. iCloud should be able to manage this connection. The watch should favor the phone but when its not available why not have the iPad as a secondary source. Like others here, I take my iPad Air 2 just about everywhere because its so easy too.

Today, there is no option and really this is about options. Maybe someone (don't know why) has an iPad but a different brand of phone. Why leave them out?

13. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Thank you for "getting it"

14. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

I asked the same question before.
    With the Ipad Mini being only slightly larger than the 6+, the 'size' questions becomes moot. Ipad Air, might be a bit big, but even so, who cares. Its got wifi+ celluar, why not pair it if you dont need the phone.
    Say I go on vacation. I bring watch + ipad, because I dont want to lug the mac. And why bring Ipad w/ cellular AND phone...

15. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Ya but I have to bend over to touch the screen to change it to another movie. It would be super awesome if I could change to the next movie from my watch. Which is my wrist. So I don't have to bend over. It's just so back breaking to move...

/sar /joke

:p

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

See, you just pointed out another reason for this option. Place the iPad near the television where you have power so you can use the charger while you AirDrop your movie. The watch could be used as a remote for the iPad so you can get to that next movie. I get the joke but you made a good point too.

17. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

As a notification device and a quick "glance at information" device, I think iPad users would use it more than phone users.... purely because your phone is normally more accessible than your iPad.

18. kovey macrumors 6502a

At release, they're not going to waste their time making the watch compatible with an iPad. I hope they don't ever. The watch is supposed to compliment the iPhone. The iPad is its own beast.

19. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

It's supposed to compliment the phone, because Apple have told us that and they have developed it and marketed it like that.

I'm saying that, apart from making cellular calls, there would be no difference in watch functionality if it were paired with an iPad instead.

The Earth was supposed to be flat....

20. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's what I do myself lol.

I was watching a movie on HBO Now on my iPad while playing borderlands pre-sequal lol. It's awesome! Multitasking woot!

21. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Yes, an excellent point!

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

He's going to strap his iPad to his arm when he runs.

23. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Bwuahahahaha!

24. Hargobind macrumors member

Hargobind

Because then you won't want to buy an iPhone! Simple as that!

25. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

If it is inches away, why bother with Apple watch than... ;)