Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I noticed there isn't a Best Buy pre-order thread like there usually is here. Did you guys forget?

I can't speak for all Best Buys, but the ones in Northern VA still have stock for launch day pickup.

I had a rough time pre-ordering from Apple this morning, and ended up getting a 10/30 to 11/6 ship date on a iPhone 12 Pro Pacific Blue 128. So for giggles a little bit ago around 10pm EDT, I checked out Best Buy's website and they were still showing stock for launch day pickup.

So I was able to secure one of those for the 23rd and cancelled my Apple pre-order.

So It's worth a look at Best Buy if you didn't get launch day from Apple.

Oh also, $600 trade-in for a 11 Pro Max at Best Buy.

Reactions: edhchoe

wrajr

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Agree with OP -- surprised there is no active thread -- Bestbuy has launch day availability -- getting my iPhone 12 Pro in Pacific Blue 256GB on launch day after ordering at 1030AM EST yesterday.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I need an unlocked phone so I cannot buy from BestBuy.

I thought BB sold nothing but unlocked phones, and once you insert your carrier sim it would be locked to that carrier.

However, I went by there today, and the rep said they stopped selling unlocked phones a few months ago. I was planning on going that route since it’s so close to my house. I don’t want it shipped in fear of getting it stolen.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I thought BB sold nothing but unlocked phones, and once you insert your carrier sim it would be locked to that carrier.

However, I went by there today, and the rep said they stopped selling unlocked phones a few months ago. I was planning on going that route since it’s so close to my house. I don’t want it shipped in fear of getting it stolen.

They sell flex phones. So not unlocked, but lock to first SIM inserted's policy. So if ATT, is locked to ATT, and you have to then unlock it depending on how it is handled. I wouldn't want the hassle if I was using on a MVNO, for instance.

I've bought a couple of iPhones via Best Buy. Signed up for ATT Postpaid (and installment plan), so locked until I paid it off a couple months later. Also a prepaid model that was locked to ATT Prepaid for 6 months (discounted, so expected).

Reactions: maverick22

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Interesting, I see they even pulled the unlocked iPhone 11's they used to sell. But ever since they stopped giving reward points on Apple purchases, combined with their ridiculous $45 restocking fee, there's been little incentive to buy from Best Buy anymore.

Reactions: maverick22

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Most of the profit Best Buy made off of iPhone sales were kickbacks from the carriers for new lines, and extending payment plans. So there was much reduced margin on phones sold without plan attached.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Interesting, I see they even pulled the unlocked iPhone 11's they used to sell. But ever since they stopped giving reward points on Apple purchases, combined with their ridiculous $45 restocking fee, there's been little incentive to buy from Best Buy anymore.

They don’t give rewards points when you purchase Apple products? That’s one of the dumbest things I have heard of. I wasn’t aware of that. That’s another reason I was going to go with BB since I shop there often. I didn’t know about the $45 restocking fee either. Maybe I’ll just buy through Apple and send it to my parents’ house.

Reactions: Cplhicks

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Had an issue with my Verizon order. Had a launch day delivery for the 128 Blue 12 Pro. Guess my bank didn’t let VZW take the payment and had to call. After 1 hour on hold the rep cancelled my order but said I could still get a launch day phone. Wasn’t the case. Just bought it and will pick up 10/23. Said ship by 10/23. Didn’t know if that was delivery or actual shipping date. Not taking any chances.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
Hey MODS, make a Best Buy thread for the iPhone 12 launch. You usually have one.

Just use this thread and rename the title. Easy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.