Why no black theme for OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Alienworkshoper, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Alienworkshoper macrumors member

Screen shot 2011-01-02 at 8.29.33 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-02 at 8.28.37 AM.png

Badass right? But why can't I just go to system preferences to get this rather than having to download DockDoctor and Nocturne.

Does anyone have a logical explanation as to why they wouldn't just preload at least a few themes into the mac?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I wish Apple did include this functionality! However, its just not their style. I like this though... Have you noticed any performance or battery life hit from doing this?

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Could you explain how you did this, i have tried but have only found solutions that involve inverting the menu bar and i hate the yellow highlight that i t makes when you select anything.

4. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

where do you get the black menubar? and is there a way to make it slightly transparent like it normally is on osx?

5. Alienworkshoper thread starter macrumors member

the bar is inverted and has yellow tabs when highlighted.

whenever you go fullscreen with another program the bar turns totally black and you have to turn night color on and off to get it back to black with white writing.

It's really annoying.. but it looks classy as hell.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Anyone know how to simply make the menubar black as seen in the OP's picture?

7. Alienworkshoper thread starter macrumors member

you have to download dockdoctor. I think you can change the opacity.

Bu that's my point. It's really ****in annoying having to download these additional programs to do such basic tasks that you'd figure would be build in to every computer by now.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Apple is all about providing a consistent user experience, hence limited customization.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Apple is beginning to include black elements in the GUI (such as the Dock menus in SL). This gives me hope that, eventually, we'll get a dark option.

10. jimbowickersmac macrumors newbie

I have a black dock and top menu bar. This is pretty risky but you can go into system/library/coreservices/dock and replace your default one with other files. As long as you save your default ones i guess it doesn't really matter though

11. Absolute-Zero macrumors newbie

Black Menubar

Hey, for everyone who wants a black menubar use Aqua Extreme 3. It comes as a dmg so everything is done without having to go to the hard stuff. You can also restore to the default menubar through it.

Link: http://www.maxthemes.com/

NOTE: go to the "themes" tab and scroll down to Aqua Extreme 3.

12. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

If that were true, QuickTime wouldn't look so out of place. So let me fix this for you:

Apple is all about limited customization.

Or, to bring it to the point:

Apple is all about restrictions.

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Can anyone verify this?

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It's obvious they're moving towards having the GUI like QuickTime X, Snow Leopard is in the transitional period.

Apple hasn't demoed half the features that will come about in Lion, the Mac App Store is for Snow Leopard too, so that leaves Mission Control as the only new feature if what we saw at the last event was it. In other words, we'll see what Apple brings to the table at WWDC.

You only need to right click in Windows 7 to still see a Windows 95 style contextual menu. At least OS X beats that.

15. Alienworkshoper thread starter macrumors member

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

How did you get that firefox icon? That's pretty sweet.

17. Alienworkshoper thread starter macrumors member

just google image search "black firefox icon"

18. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Haha, should have thought of that.

19. Keleko macrumors 68000

The Steve only believes in black when it is a turtleneck shirt. Black is not for Mac. :)

20. samh macrumors 6502

Or, another way to look at it is...

Apple creates a good interface, and then focuses on functionality. Infinite customization by the end-user is not a priority.

21. Alienworkshoper thread starter macrumors member

it took me about 10 minutes to create a black theme of my own. Do you really think it's too much to ask Apple to just implement a one click option in the System Preferences that does exactly what I just did?

And if you think that having such an option inhibits the computer or slows it down in any way.. then that's a terrible computer. My girl has the background of her MB doing a sideshow of all her pictures.. all the time. It's annoying but doesn't slow down the computer like you'd expect.

I digress, the point clearly is.. it's an easy enough to add customization that a lot of people would like. No ****ing reason what so ever it shouldn't be there. I'm not talking red blue, glowing red eye alienware themes. I'm talking about 2 basic and classy themes that should be included with every mac. Black and white.

22. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Yes works. But not very good.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly. Too bad he's a MicroShill and logic won't work his limited and restricted understanding.

24. ndstrenge, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

ndstrenge macrumors regular

nocturne.

Attached Files:

25. Alienworkshoper thread starter macrumors member

does your nocturne have yellow highlights? The first one I installed did, but I reinstalled it from a different site and now it has blue highlights, much better.