Why no Blu-Ray support for external SuperDrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slapple, Jun 11, 2012.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

Is the external SuperDrive a new product, or has it been around for a while? If it's been around for a while, then I guess I can understand it not supporting Blu-Ray. But if it's a new product, then I shake my head at its lack of Blu-Ray support.

2. GaiaAero macrumors regular

It's been around for a while.
    And IIRC, Steve Jobs hated Blu-Ray :p

3. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Apple doesn't have any desire to Support Blu-ray themselves yet. OWC sells external Blu-ray drives though.

4. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

He seemed to hate too much, Abobe, Google, Blu-ray, among others I am sure to be missing.

5. JBazz macrumors 6502

Bluray is owned by a conglomerate that includes Sony, LG, Samsung and HP among others. Apple would have to pay a fee to include it in their products, and doing so would give credit to a superior format. Jobs decided he could sell expensive computers whether they had bluray or not. There have been a few people who worked for Apple who have claimed the company is not interested in listening to what consumers want. They still sell products so why should they?

6. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Blu-Ray is great only if you work for Hollywood.

7. jeblis macrumors regular

8. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Or, instead of some crazy ridiculous conspiracy the simplest explanation might be that Apple see's streaming hi-def videos as the future.

If you look at netflix and where the industry is going it looks like Apple is right.

9. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

Bag of hurt... should probably change my username to that.

10. JBazz, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

JBazz macrumors 6502

There is absolutely nothing crazy or ridiculous. All you need do is read. People who work for Apple have been quoted as saying Apple doesnt listen to what consumers want, they feel it their job to innovate (ie tell you want you want) instead.

Netflix is on its last breath. I could care less what they are doing.

Link to Steve Jobs being quoted as saying "it's not the consumers job to know what they want"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/business/steve-jobs-of-apple-dies-at-56.html?pagewanted=all

Link to Jobs complaining about licensing fees for bluray, which includes some owners.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/01/03/steve-jobs-upgrades-bluray-from-bag-of-hurt-to-mafia-and-other-rumors/

11. Haarith :) macrumors member

I think there are some external ones out there for mac so im going to buy the apple super drive and the external blu ray drive from somewhere..