Why no Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bombercoach, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Bombercoach macrumors newbie

Our schools football program bought a MBP 15 unibody last november and since I am the guy who uses it to edit video and create DVD's I have fallen in love with it. Now I want one of my own, but I am waiting till they get blu-ray players, seemed like this was going to happen with a new refresh but it didn't in june at WWDC, when will apple move up to HD quality blu-ray since it has now won the battle between HDDVD?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This subject has been addressed numerous times with varying opinions

If you use MRoogle you will find all the threads relating to it

It isn't likely that Apple will embrace Blu-Ray any time soon, if ever

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

LOADS of threads and discussion about this issue. The answer is...no BluRay in Macs in the near future, if EVER. Search the forum for the reasons for my answer.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

op....search

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just like GPU hardware acceleration for video playback. :rolleyes:

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

When did Steve say that one?

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

:p That's the best I've heard all day.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Cost - There is no single licensing body, like there is for DVD. A DVD license, includes CDs, VCDs, CD-R, CD-Audio, etc. Right now, Blu-Ray includes... Blu-Ray only, you then have to go out and get rights for every other format that it is compatible with. HD-DVD did not have this problem, as it was simply DVD with HD support.

Size/Cost - There are no reasonably priced slot-loading Blu-Ray drives that would fit into Apple Laptops. Apple will not put something in any Mac Pro, that has no guarantee to be available for the MBP within one year. Also there are few BD-R systems out there, and definitely none that are slot loading.

Power - Apple is trying to be "Green", which Blu-Ray is not, as of yet. Once they can get the power usages close to DVD, then you might see Blu-Ray.

TEG

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

We've reached this already with a possible exception of the GMA X4500HD.

Apple has been pushing h.264 since 2005. We're still spinning up fans for our hot CPUs while Windows users do it on their GPUs.

13. janstett macrumors 65816

Actually, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD were virtually identical. They use the same codecs (MPEG2, H.264, VC-1, Dolby True HD, DTS HD-MA, etc.). The differences were only:

- Physical disc format (the drive mechanism required)
    - Interactive layer (HD-DVD used soemthing from MS, BD uses Java)
    - Blu-Ray added a 2nd layer of encryption on top of what HD-DVD provided.

Don't forget Blu-Ray's inventors, Sony and Philips, were part of the DVD forum and were working on DVD's successor. They split off to do Blu-Ray when the DVD forum wouldn't agree on the tiny differences above. It's a shame, I hate format wars, but Blu Ray won and it's over.

I don't think a DVD license includes older formats; the DVD LA (Licensing Authority) is just a clearing house to license all the patents needed to make a DVD player in one place -- instead of separately going to IBM, Toshiba, Sony, Philips, etc. Even then I think it doesn't include the DTS license, that's separate.

Also I believe the Blu-Ray people have set up a similar licensing authority in the last year.

14. janstett macrumors 65816

Let's see, 1080p high-def movies, 50 GB of storage, lossless high-resolution surround sound...

And isn't the Mac supposed to be the king of multimedia?

Of course if you're rocking a G3 powerbook and have a 20" standard def tube tv it's not for you.