Why No Camera Flash?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Just purchased an iPad 4 as a gift and noticed it doesn't have a camera flash. Curious as to know why, anyone know?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no built-in flash on iPads, like there is on iPhones. That's also why there's no flashlight function on the iPad, like on iPhones.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

This doesn't answer my question.

If the iPad has a camera, it seems to me it should have been designed with a camera flash just like the iPhone has.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

The answer to your 'why' question is that Apple decided not to include a flash. End of story. To get deeper insight you would have to talk to the iPad's designers.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it does answer your question. There is no flash because Apple didn't include one on iPads. As for why they didn't, talk to Apple.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Because you most likely aren't going to be using the iPad in low light conditions? And if you are, it's probably because you're watching a movie or playing a game, two situations where you don't need your camera.

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

GGJstudios, Obviously there isn't a flash because Apple didn't include it. There was no need to be a wise guy. If you don't know, then don't answer my thread.

Thank you Jessica, for providing a more logical answer to my question.

8. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Marketing. So that when they introduce a NEW model, and it has flash built-in, you would most likely upgrade.

iPod touch 4> iPod touch 5

----------

Exactly!

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not being a wise guy. People ask the most basic and obvious questions all the time in this forum. There is no way to read your mind and know what you're thinking, so we have to rely on what you post. Only Apple knows the reasons they didn't include a flash on the iPad. Others can guess, but that's exactly what they are: guesses.

10. ac4155 macrumors newbie

This is one of the things that gets me, and is probably one of my pet peeves. Why do people seem to think the iPad is suitable as a point and shoot camera? There is nothing more silly than someone holding up a 10 inch iPad trying to take photos or videos.

There is simply no need for flash on the iPad. The same way there is no need for people to use the iPad as a point and shot camera.

My Mac has a camera on it, but you don't see me in the street holding it up taking photos. Just because something has the capability to take a photo does not mean It is supposed to be a point and shoot camera. It's their as a webcam set up, similar to the iPad.

11. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

And this makes total sense to me now. Thank you!

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

See, I disagree with you here. I think the iPad makes a wonderful camera. Hence, i spend a lot of time using mine as one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it's no different to a large format camera which looks even worse. Put it on a tripod and you're golden. When iOS 7 comes out and you're able to use the volume keys to take a shot, it will look less stupid, trust me. Less of the thing in your face, that's for sure.

For me, the ability to take a shot and then be able to edit it then and there in something like Photoshop Touch, then post it online, outweighs the stupidness of it. I already look stupid anyway. :rolleyes: