Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
I took a look online earlier today and found one USB keyboard that had an iPod dock and media card reader built-in. Unfortunately, one of its descriptions said "Not compatible with Mac".
-hh

Wow, they must have had a considerable effort to make it incompatible!
My card readers are in a 3.5" bay on the computer and they plug in to the same place on the motherboard as the USB plugs do. It behaves exactly like a USB casing with several drives...

Can you send me the link for that keyboard please? I use different types of computers and would not be at a loss if that thing did not work on the Mac.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Wow, they must have had a considerable effort to make it incompatible!

Or it simply could be that they didn't bother to test, so thus didn't certify it.

Can you send me the link for that keyboard please? I use different types of computers and would not be at a loss if that thing did not work on the Mac.

The URL that I stumbled upon that explicitly said "Not Mac compatible" isn't floating to the top of today's searches, so I've not been able to find that.

I did re-locate the product though...but today, I've now found two vendors:

#1 is the Visiontek DCS Multimedia Keyboard and Card Reader. Part# 900099. Manufacturer's website is here.

#2 is the Atech Flash Technology's KB-Dock keyboard + reader + dock. Manufacturer's website is here

For both designs, they look like all they've done is to put a mini-USB port in a keyboard recess and then have a matching external-style reader that plugs in 'bayonet' onto that recess. Both appear to stick up a good 1.5" above the keyboard.

For #1, I found it listed on Amazon, who reports that it first became available in 2004 (so no, it doesn't support SDHC), but is out of stock. As per Google (Google Shopping), there's still some other places on the web that can be found that claim to offer it; street price is ballpark $50.

For #2, I found a few reviews (here's one) that stipulate that its not really a USB keyboard, but that it is a PS/2 keyboard to which you also hook up a second connection...USB...to run the hub/interface.

Also, take it for what its worth, but Amazon's webpage on #1 contains not even a single customer review (even though its been there for 5 years), which infers that this hasn't been a particularly popular product at all.

And finally, there was a Macintosh rumor published on this topic, by the now-defunct Thinksecret website back in November 2006. Wayback Machine Archive Link Here. It was written off as hearsay.

-hh

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
Or it simply could be that they didn't bother to test, so thus didn't certify it.
[...]-hh

thanks. that is probably what happened.

I looked for the products and found this link:
http://www.yugatech.com/blog/toys-gadgets/asus-eee-keyboard-is-a-media-center/
this would actually look nice, especially if they removed the extra junk and made it just a keyboard :D

OTOH The external iPod dock with card reader sounds like an elegant solution.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/26/griffin-intros-simplifi-ipod-dock-card-reader-usb-hub/
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2005/11/17/atech_flash_technology_iduo_ipod_dock_and_card_reader/ (fugly :( )

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
No card reader on the iMac is no big problem. I got a card reader for only $12 that even reads SDHC cards and I just plug it into the keyboard when needed.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
i say we just beam the pics over to iPhoto threw infrared. ;)

How about $50 to do it over your home WiFi network?

overview on the Eye-Fi wireless memory card website.

This was the wireless card that I alluded to yesterday, along with my prognostication that Apple is likely on a "wireless everything" track.

FWIW, something to keep in mind with the Eye-Fi "Explore" card suggests that it does Geotagging...but in the fine print, you'll find that it is not a GPS-based system, but is Skyhook Wireless's hybrid positioning system: it works by detecting nearby WIFI hotspots that it then finds the location coordinates via a database lookup table.

As such, while this approach will work OK in a city, its not going to work out in the boonies, or middle of the woods, since there's no WIFI hotspots within range to detect.

-hh

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I love reading these old posts where people say something will never happen!

Never is a really looooonnnnggggg time!

Love live card readers! :D

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.