Why no classic?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Malus, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, I've just noticed that the new intel macs won't run classic os9 anymore...thats not cool. Is there any software out there (like parallels and vmware) that will emulate os9? I have the install disk but no computer to run it on :(

I tried using sheep shaver, but it seems too confusing for me to do anything....

Thanks.

2. andyh2 macrumors member

I don't think there are any apps out that emulate classic. Pretty much no one was using it by the time intel macs came out, and apple didn't want to take the time to convert it to "universal"

3. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Not having an Intel Mac, this has yet to become an issue for me. Nonetheless, read through this and see if you find an acceptable solution.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Sheepshaver works on my Intel Mac, but since I don't have any pre-OS X software to run on it (I just did it for the hell of it), I can't actually do anything with it. I did get the OS 9 version of iCab running on it though.

It'll run reeeaaaallllllyyyyyy sssssllllloooooowwwww with the default RAM settings, but speeds up noticeably when you increase the RAM assigned to it.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Emulation and virtualization is your friend....

(I don't think we can talk about it anymore...)

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

How does that help someone wanting to run OS 9 apps? We could just have said "move on, OS 9" is dead, but that doesn't help anyone either.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

We might as well. All the OS 9 apps have now been updated for OS X or there are far better alternative apps available.

However, if you do want to do Classic on a Mac, Sheepshaver is the way to go. I ran it on my MacBook Pro and it seemed relatively speedy. Don't use it though...

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No.. there are emulation techniques. There was a reply several replies above explaining how to get versions of MacOS older than OS X running on Intel Macs. But the OP has to do some legwork. If he/she just denounces all the solutions as too complicated to understand, that's not my issue, is it?

Try Basilisk... or else explain where you got stuck with Sheepsaver.

In terms of why Classic isn't on Intel Macs, a big part of the basic reason, from what I understand, is that it runs at too basic a level (i.e. has relatively close access to PPC hardware) for Rosetta to run it. It wasn't reasonable for Apple to invest lots and lots of effort to create a non-Rosetta way to run such old versions of the OS on Intel processors....

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It was helpful without them getting into trouble. It had to be non specific but google-able.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

A used G3 iMac can easily be had for less than $50...seems like a good investment if you're wanting to use/explore OS 9.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It is pretty ironic (and weird), that it's now so much easier to run Windows software on a Mac than old Mac software.

12. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm stuck at getting the ROM image. I found it in the OS9 install disk. It was called MAC OS ROM, I believe. It was 2.5 mb. when I put it into sheep shaver, it said that the rom was invalid. Oh well, maybe I will take the person above me advice and just buy an older imac for 50 bucks or so.

Thanks for everyones help!!

13. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

OS 9 support needed to go, like a bad cousin that stayed past it's welcome.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh... this page has a list of which NW ROMs from install discs work:

http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq#which_rom_to_use_for_my_system

That isn't one of them.

You can... ahem... *wink* get around that issue (about which I personally wouldn't feel too too bad), or yeah, I guess, get an older iMac.

15. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502