Why no Contact-Pictures

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DerMario, Jun 19, 2013.

1. DerMario macrumors member

DerMario

I cant believe that Apple isn't able to add contact-pictures besides the phonebook and Messages. It has far enough space to do so and Android has it long time.
    The jailbreak scene also shows that it works perfectly.

So why cant apple do this simple task???

2. ILOVEMYMBP2.2g macrumors regular

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g

what the heck are you talking about!?

3. darngooddesign, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

[​IMG]

I think I get what you are saying. I don't need contact images in my messages, but in the contact list would be nice. Then I'd get all OCD trying to make sure there were and image for everyone in my contact list.

Guess it doesn't bother me that much.

Here is the Favorites list with photos:

[​IMG]

4. qtaran111 macrumors member

My guess would be that a lot of people have contacts without pictures and a contact app that shows a list of some contacts with pictures and most without picture or a place holder image looks crap.

I think this also explains why the favourites list does include pictures, as users are much more likely to have a picture of their favourite contact, so in this context it works.

5. fivedots macrumors 6502a

That has been my experience on any device that uses contact pictures heavily, such as the Nexus 4. Most users don't bother with contact pictures and having placeholders all over your SMS app, etc. is just clutter.

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I would buy this logic if it weren't for the fact that Messages on OSX and on the iPad have contact pics.

It is far and away easier to pick out the conversation you want to tap when there is a picture vs reading the names of each line in an app that is literally only showing text on the entire page.

7. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Just because they've done it before doesn't mean it was right decision. My messages app on OS X looks ridiculous because I've got a whopping one contact with images.

8. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Well this is the argument I guess that Apple knows what is good for you. I would love to have a tweak like copic, which adds the contact pic in my phone book and text message list. They could easily add the ability to have the feature for ppl like me. And have a setting to turn it off, for those who do not want to be bothered with it.

Hopefully we will see a jailbreak, that can fix the one or two features like this missing from iOS 7.

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

I sync my contacts with FB and would love for contact pictures to be more prevalent.

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Are you talking about favorites in iOS7? (because there are no images for favorites in iOS6). I'm talking about list mode, not details.

11. DerMario thread starter macrumors member

DerMario

I think the solution with the initials (for contacts without pics) is great. It looks better than just the naked list of contacts in my opinion.

That is in favourites, but also in Gamecenter

12. qtaran111 macrumors member

Yes. Favorites in iOS 7 (list mode) shows a small circular pic next to the contact details. If there is no pic, small grey circle is shown with the contact's initials inside which I think is an elegant solution to missing contact pics.