Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badwolf2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
As we know every new iPhone number change (4,5,6) there as been a completed redesign for the iPhone. I wronder why they haven't this year? maybe because apple wants to save it for the 8? They really can't come up with two new Designs? Sure they changed the coating abit but still same design.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
How do you expect a mature product to look completely different every year?

Smartphone exterior designs are like cars now, they change the grill and taillight assembly, add a new color option... boom! new model year.

Reactions: BeeGood

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
well, the PLUS model now has two camera lenses rather than one...is not that a good design feature? It almost makes me want one, but my photos look like crap anyway. I bet my girlfriend, who takes pictures of everything we eat, will want one...

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Because they are putting all their efforts on the next 10th year anniversary phone.

Amoled equivalent screen, wireless charging, new design etc.

The 7 is a stop gap for them.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010

Smartphone exterior designs are like cars now, they change the grill and taillight assembly, add a new color option... boom! new model year.

It is not unreasonable to expect apple to continue their design change every 2 years MO. This is the first time in 9 years that 3 back to back generations of iPhones have looked the same, that fact alone makes it a reasonable question to ask.

The only thing I can think of is that this really does lend itself to a huge upgrade next year. I just don't see Apple having the same looking phone 4 years in a row.

Badwolf2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012

I don't expect it every year but every 2 years and only because that's what they have done from the start. But totally get what your saying and I guess that will be the future now.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
As we know every new iPhone number change (4,5,6) there as been a completed redesign for the iPhone. I wronder why they haven't this year? maybe because apple wants to save it for the 8? They really can't come up with two new Designs? Sure they changed the coating abit but still same design.
if the same thing sells with a little polish, why bother with something different?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I get the feeling Apple isn't "done", but they are probably still developing technologies that will allow for shrinking bezels.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH

Well, they have been doing this since the invention of the iPhone, so why can't they continue it?

And no, new car generations have a significantly different exterior and interior.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

History?

Original
3G 3GS
4 4S
5 5S
6 6S ... 7?

This is the first time Apple ever used the same design 3 years in a row. Its not illogical to wonder why they didn't change things. And since the answer to the OP's question is probably "Because they've been saving all their cool stuff for the 10th anniversary iPhone X" then it will be unlikely that Apple will do a 3 year cycle again.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
It is not unreasonable to expect apple to continue their design change every 2 years MO. This is the first time in 9 years that 3 back to back generations of iPhones have looked the same, that fact alone makes it a reasonable question to ask.

The only thing I can think of is that this really does lend itself to a huge upgrade next year. I just don't see Apple having the same looking phone 4 years in a row.

Going by what's been posted on the main page for quite a few months now, it seems like they wanted the major re-design for the 10th anniversary.

I for one and going to forgo an upgrade this year and I'll hang on to my 6 Plus another year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.