Why no DOF/Histogram preview in Nikon mid-range DSLRs?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by phaedarus, May 2, 2012.

1. phaedarus macrumors regular

As a D7000 owner, my equipment is classified under mid-range. Still, the D7000 was intended to be a landmark camera and yet, despite having the essentials of a $5000 body, it still lacks a few other important features such as a real time histogram and live DOF preview.

I've always been curious as to why Nikon leaves out such critical features in its mid-range cameras, forcing you to instead drop more than $4000 for the privilege with its D3/D4 line.

Canon users, on the other hand, get it for free. They probably already have it available on its latest entry-level Rebel line.

So, what's Nikon's reasoning for reserving the above capabilities for its pro camera bodies?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Why are you asking this here? Nikon would be the place to ask don't you think? Second, the D7000 while being a good camera is no where near having the "essential" high-end components. I say this as a D4 owner. The D7000 is a great mid-level camera, aimed at photographers who want more than point and shoot capabilities. You do have a Histogram but in the playback mode (take a peek here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D7000/D7000A3.HTM), and the DoF can be accessed as well (here is the spec sheet: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/spec.htm). You might want to have a look see and then report back your findings.

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I'd say a better question is: Why did you buy a camera that doesn't have features you claim you need?

5. phaedarus thread starter macrumors regular

It was my very first DSLR.

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I think I answered most of your questions with my post so you should be better informed.

7. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Doesn't the DOF preview button on the front of the camera work in live view mode? (I rarely if ever use live view on my D7000.)

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

If you're in live view, aren't you seeing already what the "preview" is supposed to show you? Maybe it works differently on my camera. Nikon revised the Live View system for the D4.

9. phaedarus thread starter macrumors regular

My reasons for approaching this forum are much the same as any photographer I suppose - access to a community of users more experienced than I. Plus, being a Japanese company, they tend to be tight-lipped about everything.

At any rate, the D7000 offered a number of things that were previously only available to high-end bodies even though it may not match up spec wise such as mirror-up, dual card slots, 39 AF points, and other features that you once had to pony up a few thousand for.

You're right about the histogram appearing after the shot is taken and that's nice but imagine how much time I could save by utilizing a live histogram which provides me with a far better reading of the scene than the conventional exposure meter.

Previewing images are also unreliable when conditions are very bright outside. The histogram, on the other hand, will always be accurate.

For whatever reason, I'm not getting any results by pressing the DOF preview button. I actually have to turn Live View on and off after setting my aperture to get an updated preview. Again, it would save me a tremendous amount of time if it were a live preview.

What I really want to know is, does Nikon have good reason to restrict these features to the higher-end bodies? I don't see how incorporating the above two feature sets into their mid-range and entry-level line would impose any sort of tangible drain on the company's resources.

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Fair enough but again, these are questions that only Nikon can answer. They are of course in the biz to sell more and more cameras. I could ask, why doesn't the D800 shoot at 11 FPS, or use XQD cards? The reasons are obvious, they are approaching each market with a targeted device. If you want more features you will have to pay for them. Do you know of any Canon camera that has the features that you require?

11. phaedarus thread starter macrumors regular

These extra features you mentioned that are boasted by the higher-end line increases the production costs of said cameras such as more durable springs and shutter as well as a more powerful motor to get something like high FPS. Basically, physical parts of increased quality must be tacked on in order to achieve this.

A live histogram or DOF preview are software based solutions that can be easily incorporated into firmware, thereby having a negligible impact on company resources when providing it to its customer base. If anything, it can only provide further incentive and as such it puzzles me why they're not available below the pro-line of cameras.

To answer your question though, I was completely unaware of the live DOF/histogram feature set until I examined a Canon 7D that was on display in an electronics store (Futureshop) and thought to myself, "Wow, this would really be nice to have on my D7000!".

My understanding is that this is available in all models of Canon's DSLR lineup.

Don't get me wrong, I love my D7000 and it does have a number of features that other cameras of its class lack. I just think it's a shame those of us that own mid-range cameras aren't qualified to have things like a Live Histogram or DOF preview in the eyes of Nikon.