Why no Energy impact in iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by stooovie, Aug 8, 2013.

1. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Mavericks has this new metric called Energy impact. You can see how much energy do apps use.

That seems a natural thing for iOS - I wonder why isn't it included yet? Is there something in mobile OS design that keeps this from happening?

2. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Steve used to say that the user shouldn't be baffled by or need to use things like that. Plus, it makes more sense on a desktop.

They might add the feature somewhere in the Settings app though.
    (quote not accurate)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It makes sense for a laptop yes, but not for iMacs/Mac Pros imo.

I think Apple missed on this, just as its a good metric for MBPs, so wouldn't it be for iOS devices.

4. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be a food thing with all devices with batteries.

I do agree that users shouldnt have to worry about this - but he shouldnt worry about toggling radios either and we have that option now.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

what radios? basics like bluetooth, location services and wi-fi? Completely different things.

6. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, but also things you shouldnt have to worry about. You do that to manage battery - same for Energy impact measure thing.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'm willing to bet that the majority of consumers don't really care about having all this information. Heck it would probably confuse most users so I don't think Apple sees the need. Especially now that they have better multitasking built in to iOS 7 and background updates based on usage patterns this should not be as big of an issue.
    The inclusion of this feature in Mavericks makes sense because it's geared more towards "pro" users. I think we're starting to see Apple make a bigger distinction between OS X and iOS.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

True. The only folks that would need it are tech support, make it part of the diags and they could tell exactly which apps are running down battery life and remove those rather than erase everything.

Otherwise a passive form that does things like auto toggles LTE when it is way sheet and would eat up battery, better sleeping of apps, turning off Bluetooth by default and so on is more in order for iOS

Perhaps create a tool for developers to see their apps results as well

9. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but two things:

1) it is a big deal until the iPhone can go for a whole day or two without users carefully fiddling with it to conserve battery
    2) there are super-nerdy diagnostics already since probably iPhone OS 1.0 (Settings-General-info-diagnostics and usage). Energy impact stats could be a part of this, infinitely more useful than these diagnostics even for regular users.

10. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I wouldn't rule out the idea of this feature making it into iOS in the future (maybe iOS 8). Remember that iOS is OS X under the hood. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple just wants to get it working right in Mavericks first, and then works on migrating it to iOS once it's perfected.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's a good idea for troubleshooting purposes and detecting rogue apps. It's not for the average consumer though.

12. cynics macrumors G4

I've always like it in Android. If you suspect a battery problem you can see what's using the battery. Then you can correct it.

With iOS its a guessing game and usually leads to a full restore.