Why no ethernet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dyzfnctional, Oct 23, 2012.

1. dyzfnctional macrumors regular

Why did they get rid of the ethernet on the rmbp 13? So it can be thinner or so we spend extra $ for the adapter? This may be another option that makes me want to go for the rmbp 15.....

2. HBP macrumors member

15" rMBP doesn't have ethernet either...

3. dyzfnctional thread starter macrumors regular

oh damn... guess forcing everyone to just go wireless or adapter.

4. soulniz macrumors member

There's no Ethernet port on the 15" either. And yes, they removed it so that it could be thinner.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Or classic?

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Vaio Z still manages ethernet & many other notebooks slimmer than the Retina Pro's manage ethernet, some with clever engineering.

They removed it so they can make more money selling adapters.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You mean the flip down port a la first generation MacBook Air?

8. MrKing macrumors newbie

MrKing

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You don't need ethernet. It's a mobile device.

I understand that abroad many universities don't allow you to use wifi routers, but believe me, there are ways of doing it to bypass ethernet. The adapter is fine to use if you're moving large amounts of data across the network.

10. MrKing macrumors newbie

MrKing

BS. WIFI can't replace ethernet until wifi is as reliable and fast as ethernet. Try moving big chunky data to a server or your own NAS over wifi, might want to get a good book and a big mug of coffee while you wait.

11. dnkbro macrumors regular

12. br3nt macrumors member

The problem is just that: WE can BUY one... Apple is already charging a premium price while removing functions. The least they can do is to include TB to GigE adapter in the package.
    My theory should they have done that from the beginning: 50% of all the complains will cease.

Cheap ass apple :p

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Stop whining!

You're spending over 1.5k on a machine, and you're moaning about a 30$ adapter?

Look at it this way - why should those of us who don't need ethernet subsidise the cost of your adapter in our purchases (which is what Apple would do - they'd just attach the 30$ to the cost of the machine).

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Well said. The same goes for internal optical drives. Thank goodness the iMacs also dropped internal optical drives for the external Superdrive.

15. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Apple wouldn't do that - otherwise, an odd price value.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Most people aren't using Ethernet on a regular basis. Those that need it can buy the adapter. It's the same as the optical drive...most people don't use them anymore, so away they go. You can purchase a standalone if you need one.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Despite all the "just buy adapter" here, it doesn't sit well. And the size limitation is B.S.

Being an IT guy and road warrior, ethernet is really useful. WIFI don't work everywhere and some time one has to spend time configuring it. Ethernet is pretty much idiot-proof, just plug it in and BAM. Hate another stoopid adapter.

18. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Again. Buy the adaptor.

The option was:

- Remove the ethernet as 99% of people will never use it, and it allows us to free up space for something else, then offer a Thunderbolt -> GB Eth adaptor.

OR

- Keep it, remove another port instead, and it'll be used by 1%.

We get it - you dont like the option they took, but that doesn't make it the wrong one. Do you think they do it for ***** and giggles or something?

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This though I'm not sure why the why matters. If it doesn't meet your needs them move on and get something that does. You can argue both sides with situations that are relevant to you but the rMBP isn't mass produced for the needs of any one single person. It's the majority that matter.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is the rMBP even thick enough for an ethernet port? I'm looking at my cMBP now and the ethernet port only barely fits in terms of height...

21. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Blasphemy! The Classic Line is dead! Everything has to be lighter and thinner! This is the future!

I watched the whole keynote and I couldn't believe how much emphasis they put on thinness, they kept repeating "look how thin it is" like a mantra from the iPad mini to the iMac to the rMBP 13"

How about lousy specs?

22. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

No, they would up the price by $100 to fit their price points... :p

23. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

they could not charge extra $100 for computer simply because it has such a standard thing as Ethernet.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

I actually have the adapter for my MacBook Air and rarely use it. What's nice is that the 13" rMBP has the 2nd Thunderbolt port.

25. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

No, but they would hype some other reason for the $100 price hike.