Why no Express shipping on 2016 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NJRonbo, Oct 30, 2016.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Ordered my 2016 MBP as soon as orders went live last Thursday. I am in for the 2-3 week ship.

I was surprised to see no option for Express Shipping. I would have gladly payed $20-$30 to have that order in my hands within two days of being released.

Usually Apple has an ES option for their products.

Any reason why it was not available here?

2. SeanG1027 macrumors regular

I think most people would have paid for the express shipping if it was offered. Apple is just creating the demand with these shipping times.

3. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Welcome to Mac Pro.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Maybe someone in the MacBook Pro forum could better answer this for you?

5. AttilaMN macrumors newbie

You know, I've wondered when you place an order with a lead time, does Apple charge you right away, or just when the order ships?

6. vengapat macrumors regular

vengapat

Apple will charge your card when your product is shipped

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

One reason for this is that ownership of the system transfers to you when Apple hands it off to the carrier.

Shipping loss/damage is between you and the carrier. If Apple assists with any shipping related problems they're doing you a favor.

8. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

Express shipping is not typically offered for major pre-orders, but the secret is all major pre-orders are going to use express shipping. The last several iPhone pre-order have been like this for sure with in some cases 2 days from China to delivery in the final location in the US for example.

9. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Yep, this exactly. Every major pre-order I've made (most recently, iPhone 7 plus and Apple Watch Series 2) were shipped with "standard shipping" yet were clearly express. Arriving from China in two days. Usually in a packaged labeled with the carrier of choices fastest shipping service. (UPS 2nd Day Air International for example). I "missed the boat" on both the 7+ and the Series 2 watch and received them a few weeks after launch day. But they were definitely shipped as quickly as possible once one finally came down the line with my name on it.

Despite what the order form says; it's likely to be shipped using the fastest service Apple can use. Apple consistently over-promises and under-delivers when it comes to shipping times. They usually ship earlier than they expect to and with faster shipping services than initially claimed. At least for pre-orders.

There's no guarantee that that will be the case with the MBP; but I think it's likely.

I suspect the reason for this is that indeed everyone would pay for the expedited shipping. And given the backlog that an Apple order can cause, it may be that they'd rather just give all pre-orderers free expedited shipping "on the house" rather than process potentially thousands of refund requests for folks who, due to things outside of Apple's control, didn't get it in time. Even if it's the carriers fault; it's Apple you paid the shipping fees to, so it's Apple most folks will go to to ask for shipping fees refunded. Heck, I've gotten a few free months of Amazon Prime here and there when stuff delivered late.

10. rmg007 macrumors member

You can call Apple and pay to upgrade your shipping. It WILL adjust your delivery date range to be a couple of days earlier.

11. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

Most orders are build to order; the shipments are coming from China and will come the fastest way possible.

12. fs454 macrumors 65816

I was just told by support that Standard is fastest and 17-22 is the earliest window. Weird

13. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Ownership of the system should only transfer to you once you sign for the package from the courier, anything before this point is under onus of Apple.

14. NotVeryFriendly macrumors member

NotVeryFriendly

All pre-orders have express shipping. If you contact Apple to upgrade the shipping and the support advisor updates the order to reflect this (i.e. you'll see the delivery date advance on the order), not only may you be charged for express shipping with no benefit (because all preorders are express shipped anyway), you may also be delayed as it may impact your position in the queue because the shipping as been altered in spite of it already been the fastest possible shipping. Calling Apple Support will only alter the date range you see on the website, it will not impact how quickly you receive the order.

15. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

Until you sign for it, loss/damage is between the shipper and the carrier. After you sign for it, it becomes your problem.
    Source: I work in shipping/receiving.

16. JonasMoritz macrumors member

JonasMoritz

WRONG! I pre-ordered 15" stock model on Oct 28 and within 12 hours my credit card was charged and the order was payed !!