Why no FaceTime?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Xeyad, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Xeyad macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

So the Apple Watch has phone functionality, which is pretty cool. But it would've made sense to add a front facing camera for FaceTime calls too! Something to stand out from the crowd.

This is the iPad 1 all over again. :(

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Where do you put the camera?
    How much extra does it cost?
    How much larger does the watch have to be as a result?
    What are the privacy implications?
    Are you going to stand there holding your arm up to your face for 25 minutes?
    What are they going to put on version 2 to tell you that it is better than version 1?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This isn't the iPad 1 all over again. There just isn't room inside the watch for a camera. Where on the iPad 1, there was room, it just wasn't added probably due to cost.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Putting aside considerations of a camera, the Watch almost certainly communicates with the phone via Bluetooth, which I assume doesn't have the bandwidth for video.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Bluetooth 4.0 has a bandwidth of 24 megabits per second. More than enough for video and audio. Even Bluetooth 2.0 would be adequate with 3 megabits per second or roughly 80 kilobytes per second.

6. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'm assuming it's a matter of size, cost, and maybe battery life. I'm sure we'll see it later down the road.

7. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Apple Watch III!