Why No FireWire in AirPort Extreme Base Station?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JimmyDThing, Aug 30, 2007.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

My assumption is that more people use USB, and it's useful for printers... but they promote the external drive just as much as the printer, why not have a firewire port?

2. weckart macrumors 68040

You have Gigabit Ports. 1000Mbs > 800Mbs.

It keeps costs down.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhhmm i reckon fw800 would actually be faster than gigabit...jsut because of the way it actually transfers data. but uumm im not sure, true it would keep costs down. apple could afford it tho :p

4. macleod199 macrumors 6502

It would take up room, and USB is the more common interface, and serves a dual purpose. Also, since drive transfers are already limited by the slow internal processor, putting a faster drive interface on there isn't going to make a difference.

5. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

Aah... that makes sense then.

I guess I'm happy with something that keeps costs down that doesn't really matter anyway.

6. Chris F macrumors regular

Ahhhh that explains alot. I was wondering why I was only getting 9MB/s transfer to an airdisk when I hooked my MBP up and forced full-duplex gigabit with jumbo frames. (anyone know why it would auto-detect itself into 100BT?)

I assumed the USB interface on the airport was junky but it does make sense that its processor limited.