Why no flash support for the iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Four20, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

2. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Flash is a commercial product that has to be licensed. Therefore there is a hell of a lot of red tape for a product like the iphone/touch to be released with it, as Adobe would prob. have to get a cut of very touch/phone released.

3. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Also, Flash eats lots of CPU-power, and that eats lots of batteries.

4. Four20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Four20

that makes sense for having it pre-installed. . .but what about adobe creating a plugin for it. . .or is that down the road?

I mean even in linux I have 1 click installs for java, flash and other things in Firefox

but just like mp3 and dvd playback in linux. . .it can be setup

5. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

6. Four20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Four20

is it because of the way safari renders the page?

7. scoot87 macrumors newbie

flash is not used because adobe owns it and only opera has the rights to use flash as a mobile browser.

8. Four20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Four20

super lame

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's not true that only opera has it at all. Many, many devices ship with flash lite: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashlite/

There are also independent implementations of flash that can be used if you don't want to pay adobe (although you lose some features).

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Not just Opera because my PSP's internet browser has flash support, I can even open .swf files in it.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I doubt this is the reason, apple is not linux, and if all computers can get flash for free, why would apple worry a lot of this on Touch?
    maybe, its all your guess, right? Its sure a reasonable guess, but more data would be nice, so we can figure out if something is tolerable or not. I think the reasons are more like there will be problem when zoom in/out a page with flash, but hey, put a independent flash player in there.
    Really? source please?

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Adobe would make a version for next to nothing I'm sure... they give away the symbian version free as well. It's in their interest to get the flash player on as many devices as possible.. more flash means more flash websites generated by adobe premier and the like (which is what they really make their money out of).

13. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Not really. I have noticed that Flash on websites cause my CPU-usage to spike. And this is with laptops and desktops. I wonder what it would be like on mobile devices....

14. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's perfectly OK, to be honest. Most mobile phones aren't nearly as powerful as the itouch and they render it fine.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't dispute the possibly of more needs for cpu and power to display flash. I just not sure if the amount of the need is that big of a deal.

On the other hand, zoom in/out flash is a real tech issue.

16. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Yes, they might render it fine, but what does it do to battery-life? Since it causes CPU's in laptops to spike up, then it's quite possible that it does the same in smaller mobile devices as well, eating in to their battery-life

17. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Well, there is licensing. But Apple could have done that without too many problems. They don't usually have a lot of planning issues or red tape conflicts... they know what they're doing.

There's also the issue of CPU power and battery drain. However, now there is Flash Lite, which is made for mobile devices like Nokia phones, PDAs, and PSP game devices. I have no doubt that even with a small hit in battery marginally more than decoding video (or probably equal, really), the iPhone and iPod touch could use this technology.

The real issue here is if Apple wants that.

1. Flash really encourages people to make awful user interfaces, stupid games, and just really lame/lazy websites. Standard user interface ideas and UI motions coherent with those present in OS X for iPhone/iTouch would not be echoed in a Flash-based interface.

2. It's much better to be using standards, such as HTML/XHTML/CSS/JS/Ajax/etc, because instead of just one company developing them it's years and years of huge teams of intelligent people, and standards do not require a $1200 piece of software to be purchased from a single entity.

3. Flash has capabilities stronger in nature than Ajax stuff, which could theoretically mean that it would be much quicker, easier, and more interactive to build something like a VoIP solution via Flash, or like an iChat client, or non-iTunes streaming radio, or file browser, or automated installer, etc.. Though really it's plenty easy now, once you get the installer *onto* the iPhone/iTouch. :)

4. Which brings me to my final point... if Flash were present on the iPhone/iTouch, YouTube--the iPhone's biggest win in the web2.0 space and major free content provider--what incentive would they have had to convert their videos to the obviously more compatible, more efficient, more-in-line-with-Apple-and-Quicktime h.264 standard? I can't recall if they purchased a load of Xserves from Apple for this conversion, but that could factor into it as well.

I'm pretty much ambivalent, really... having been a web developer, I don't use Flash and I live happily without it. 93.7% of websites that use Flash annoy the crap out of me, and it seems to me to be a dying trend that Adobe is trying to breathe some life into so that they can keep their proprietary tech being a stream of cash money. I hope they fail, honestly.

I'd prefer Apple spend some time THINKING about what they did to customers by removing the ability to edit the calendar on the iPod touch and why they removed the Notes and Mail features!!!

18. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Our version of safari isn't mobile "its the real thing"

hmmm..

19. grinthock macrumors member

Flash shouldn't exist.

It sucks.. and it makes most web pages suck and the way most developers use it -- sucks.

I thank apple for not putting on the touch.. That way I don't have to look at it.

20. Evangelion macrumors 68040

The rendering-engine might be the same (apart from missing support for flash etc.), but the UI is very different. So by that logic you could say that the Mobile Opera is "the real thing" as well.

21. Sagemaster macrumors newbie

The technology is there, the want is there...all one would have to do is wait.

If Apple doesn't release a flash plug-in, if Adobe doesn't release a flash plug-in for the Touch, then someone else will.

The Touch boasts full internet and trust me, I am very happy with my Touch, but the internet isn't full without Flash...it's become standard nowadays.

I want Newgrounds on my Touch, I want Veoh on my Touch, I want Stormberry on my Touch...and I feel that if Apple plays it smart, they can revolutionize Mobile PDA's to a next level.

Im just sitting here waiting for my next Touch update :)

22. Four20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Four20

time to get a new CPU, lol

mine did but only because i had an ATI card on linux with no 3d acceleration