Why no gift app in 6.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Italianblend, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I can't believe that apple did not put back app gifting in the new update. What is apple thinking these days? Don't they want to sell more apps? I just don't understand the decisions that these people are making, or that something so basic could fall through the cracks. It's as if they don't even test anymore - just put it out.

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

It's honestly not a feature many will use. I'd bet less than 0.5% of users would ever use it. They may get around to including it at some point but there are much much more useful things they can focus their energy on at this point.

3. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Except that in this case, they decided to focus their energy on removing a feature that was already there and, in my experience, worked perfectly fine.

It's another mechanism for Apple to make money so what good reason -- what reason, period -- exists to remove it?

They must've had a reason and I'd like to hear it but until that happens, I'll maintain the opinion that its removal was nonsensical.

And in terms of things they've focused their energy on recently, I don't see how adding both colors to status bars and new Emoji icons are any more useful than something they can make money on.

4. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Right, I don't think they would intentionally take it out. I think they just got sloppy and haven't fixed it yet. I could be wrong, but like you said, what possible reason could apple want for removing a feature that makes them more money and is hidden in a menu?

5. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

I'd guess it could be related to the fact that people were getting their accounts hacked and having others use the gift option to gift the hackers accounts or the accounts of others. Then they can resell it in turn for money.

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Gifting apps required users to enter their passwords, just like downloading apps for yourself, so if the account was hacked, having or not having the ability to gift apps wouldn't matter; the account was hacked!

If they have access to your account, why not just steal your credit card info and call it a day? /rhetoricalquestion

And hacking a user's account to gift apps to yourself sounds like a great way to incriminate yourself and essentially scream, "ME! I did it! I'm the hacker!!"

But hey, stranger things have happened, I suppose...

7. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

You can't access CC info as it only shows the last 4 digits once entered. This gifting was an issue a couple months ago when thousands of iTunes accounts were hacked.

8. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Was just looking for it the other day wanted to buy her a game. We've gone back and forth and bought each other easily a couple dozen games...:confused:

9. JLitz020 macrumors newbie

I miss this function, every time i bought a multiplayer game i would buy 2 extra copies to gift to my friends that i would play it with, they would do the same. It's a lot easier to get some people to play a game if they don't have to pay for it, not to mention it was fun for birthdays.