Why no gold?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rozelida, Oct 27, 2016.

?

Will Macbook Pro eventually be available in gold?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. rozelida macrumors member

Seems as Space Gray and Silver are the only options.

Any guesses if gold be available at a later date or is gold not considered "professional"?

2. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

I guess that's for next years updates BUT i'm VERY VERY VERY surprised that matt black was not available due to its success on the iPhone 7.

3. kht410 macrumors newbie

I was surprised too. But I think they decided to stick with space grey on the MacBook (Pro) because the keyboard is already in matte black. So it adds a little bit of contrast, which still looks nice.

4. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

I hope not. No way I'd walk into a board meeting with a gold computer.

5. sctw macrumors newbie

sctw

considering apple dropped space gray w. black on iPhone 7 I assumed they would slowly phase out space gray on all new product updates. really strange.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Maybe they were concerned about the durability of the Matte Black finish compared to Space Grey? It may be fine on an iPhone, which is a small device and probably only used for 2-3 years. Imagine a 15" MBP being used for 4, 5 or even 6 years - especially considering they are usually used on desks which may have small pieces of grit etc. on and thus the potential for scratches.

Unsure why they didn't go gold, though. Maybe they didn't feel it was the right fit for an ostensibly 'Pro' machine, but having said that, the iPad Pro comes in gold and even rose gold. I might've considered gold just for a change if it were available, luckily I make sure I'm never in an environment where I'd be judged on the colour of my laptop...

7. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same, when they didn't add a matte black Apple Watch 2 it struck me as strange.... still, I like the Space Grey and it would be my choice of colour if buying one.

In reference to gold (or Rose gold for that matter) maybe Apple didn't see these as viable options in a professional market? Personally I wouldn't want a gold or rose gold laptop that I take to business meetings but who knows what future release will bring, no one expected the colour range we have now with the MacBook or iPhone/iPad.