Why no iCloud backup/restore for Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by lars666, Sep 12, 2017.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Apple TV with its settings and apps became complex enough that I would have loved to simply restore my old Apple TV to the new Apple TV 4k model. Would have expected this feature with the new one ...

2. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Isn't there a very similar thing built in to tvOS 11? I think it's more of a syncing feature than a back up though, but perhaps it will work in the same as a back up when you get a new box - may only work if you have more than one box on your network?

I should just shut up until I read up on it again

EDIT

OK I looked it up

Home Screen Sync
    This new feature will let you sync your apps and home screen across any Apple TV device connected to the same iCloud account - though both will need to be running tvOS 11 for it to work.

3. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't know about that - thanks for the hint, Hermes Monster! At least something although this probably won't come in time for me as I am selling my old Apple TV today or tomorrow to buy the new one next week ...

4. lvavila macrumors member

I hadn't thought about this before. Good thought.

5. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I have tvOS 11 installed. I had to reset my box. When I set it up again. It remembered all my apps and installed everything for me. Was pretty sweet.