Why no iLife mentions at all?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sigamy, Jun 14, 2007.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I'm a bit surpised at the total lack of news/info/rumors on the next release of iLife. It is now June, we've had MacWorld and WWDC and not even one mention has been made. For most "normal" home Mac users iLife is our most used suite of apps. For many, it is what attracted us to the Mac.

What is going on with iLife? I can think of a few things:

1. It is going to be drastically redesigned using Core Animation throughout. Apple will give developers the first real example of dramatic new UI concepts with 3D and animation.

2. Apple is working heads down on optimizing iLife for Intel. It is rewriting all the old AltiVec code for Intel. Correct me if this has already been done.

3. They are working on iLife for Windows. Say what you will but how many of us thought we'd see iPods, iTunes or Safari running on Windows? How many thought we'd ever see Boot Camp? I'm almost worried about this one.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

1. Yep! Bingo! We have a winner!
    2. Maybe...I don't know.
    3. Not going to happen. iLife is "the reason" that a lot of people switch.

3. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

1. You just flattened the nail head
    2. Jobs stated in WWDC 2005 that most programs in Apple's catalog had always been built as UB versions.
    3. Can't see it happening, unless Apple shuts down it's hardware operations and OSX development.

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

who here bets it will come out with leopard, they seem to be right on schedule... late! btw... if iLife '07 comes out in october of '07 when is iLife '08 coming out... please don't say october of '08 *curses the thought*

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Not only no iLife update but no new computers and after months Leopard is late and only adds some cosmetic "fluff" and a bundled backup program. I think the answer was made clear when they removed the word "computers" from the company name. How to be more clear then to change your name? Engineering resources are now directed at things like telephones, TV set top boxes and iPods.

What happens is that the company can only do so many things. Every project they add means one must be cut So they cut iLife07, don't develope a mid-range desktop Mac, delat Leopard but gain an ATV and iPhone.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

iLife '08 will come out in Oct. '07 and iLife '07 will never be. A lot of companies have done the release the '08 product at the end of '07. It allows them to keep the name current for a full year rather than only part of the year.

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It's likely that they might move to an OS version based naming scheme (i.e. iLife for Leopard, iLife Leopard, etc). That allows them to move off a yearly schedule and sync up new features to show off the new OS versions better.

8. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

so basically, iLife in '07 is a crap shoot, unless u wanna wait until the holiday season? They basically skipped an entire year of software and hardware because the iPhone and :apple: TV are worth forgetting about the consumer base? I do agree... every time someone comes up with a good idea, another good idea drops off the edge of the table, forgotten. Too bad what :apple: failed to realize is that if their base isn't there, there is no reason to put out anything for that base. they need to support the computers or they will REALLY loose market share.

9. amoda macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why they don't just hire new people. I understand why they might want to keep the team small but they are slowing down way too much. They simply need more people.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

considering the yearly updates were rather small in and of themselves. i think moving to an every other year release or alongside OS release is probably the best thing for iLife. bigger upgrades. more stability. more improvements. due to more time to work on it. makes sense to me.

11. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

2:Yes, but is it 64 bit? I heard that iTunes is written in carbon, which is not 64 bit. Maybe they're busy porting stuff to Cocoa which will be 64 bit.

12. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I can almost bet there isn't a new iLife because it uses Leopard technologies. There are quite a few 3rd party applications that are waiting for Leopard to ship before the new version can be released. Textmate and Delicious Library are 2 off the top of my head. I'd almost bet the next version of ilife is already complete and just waiting for leopard to be released.

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I thought this was changed with iTunes 6 (when it started looking like a windows app). I could be wrong though. Anyone know?

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I heard some of iTunes was done in Java (not GUI stuff obviously).

This was from James Gosling, god knows how he can be certain though.

15. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I was also very surprised that there was zero mention of iLife 07. Ive been on iLife 05 and been wanting to switch over for a while but I keep telling myself, wait for 07 but come on now..