Why no IPS screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nhlducks35, Aug 14, 2010.

1. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

The 3.5" iPhone has it, the 9.7" iPad has it, the 21.5" and 27" iMac have it, and the 27" Cinema Display has it, so why none for the Macbooks?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Because TN displays are cheaper and people aren't complaining.

3. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I doubt people complained about any of the other screens OP listed, but eh. I'd like to see the MBP updated with IPS screens this fall though.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

People were complaining. The iPhone's screen suck compared to Android phones out there, the 21.5 and 27 used IPS to make people switch from the obviously superior 16:10 screens.

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I don't think there was anything superior to the 27" resolution wise.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which screens are better on android phones and in what criteria? :confused:

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Believe me, the eIPS screens they're putting in the iPhone and other cheap toys are not as good as they're made out to be. They all suffer from major QC issues. I'm not certain it would be a step up from the TN panels current in use. An S-IPS panel would be another matter altogether.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

From what my eyes tell me, they are a very significant step up, assuming you don't have a defective one.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm not referring to viewing angles or pixel density; I'm referring to uniformity and color accuracy. They're nowhere near professional-grade (not that the TN panels Apple uses are either).

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not a professional...er....phone user (?) so what does it matter other than there is room to improve?:confused:

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's not so important on an iPhone; remember, we're talking about the MacBook Pro here, Apple's prosumer/professional notebook. E-IPS screens are what Apple has been using on its cheaper lines of products such as the iPad and the iPhone. E-IPS screens use less power than S-IPS and other IPS technologies, but LG, the only company making them AFAIK, seems to be suffering from quality control issues. E-IPS monitors from Dell and NEC, marketed as being a step above cheap TN monitors and below their more expensive IPS brethren have been showing wide variances in tinting and backlighting. From my experience with the iPhone, this is also the case although to a lesser degree. (I can't speak as to the iPad as I haven't used one.) E-IPS is probably the only IPS technology currently suitable for a laptop due to its power characteristics, but at this point it's not mature enough for me to say that it's better than a high-quality TN panel. Right now I'd rather Apple improved other areas such as the GPU as opposed to switching to an immature display technology with QC issues.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh god, I completely forgot we were talking about the MBP here and not the iphone! My apologies! Thanks for the good read though. :)

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First off someone needs to make them in the sizes that Apple need (and since most computer makers are switching to 16:9 ratios (including Apple with their desktops), you can't expect high end manufacturers to devote resources to a shrinking market. Then there is the cost of making them which is passed onto the OEM (like Apple) and to us. Oh and LG is the only manufacturer that makes IPS panels and they're already hard at making iPad screens.

Just a heads up the iPhone doesn't actually use an IPS panel, but rather a FFS panel.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

also the fact that an IPS MBP would drastically reduce battery life :)

15. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Would a RGB LED like Dell uses in their XPS line be much of an improvement over the white LED of the MBP?

Guess they cant make 15" s-amoled screens yet.