why no ips screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevemiller, Apr 10, 2011.

1. stevemiller macrumors 65832

i suspect this has been discussed before, but i'm just curious if anyone has insight into why apple is putting lovely ips screens into casual computing devices like iphones and ipads but none of their notebooks?

i used to think maybe it was a cost/size issue, but the ipad now isn't much thicker than a mbp lid and its cramming all the rest of the device innards in there too!

anyway, i've made peace with using tn panels in laptops, but it does feel like a tease when apple finds a way to put ips into all their their other displays, both larger and smaller. i've been thinking about getting one of the new 2011 quads, but i'd kick myself if next revision there was the possibility of them updating the screen!

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

They probably can't do it without losing money (or not have as high profit margins), otherwise they would. There's a reason why the iPhone/iPad costs $500+ and the 27" ACD is $1000.

Maybe in the next gen of MBPs.

3. Jaimi macrumors regular

TN screens have gotten better, and IPS screens are more expensive. I guess they feel the tradeoff is not worth it. I'd rather have an IPS screen also, as there is some color loss on TN screens at certain vertical angles, though they have the horizontal angle problems pretty much spot on now.

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

IPS isn't that expensive.

If you can buy a 23" IPS display for around 200, how much is a 15" IPS going to cost really? :p

And the ACD is really overpriced if you consider that Dell was selling the same panel from LG at a much lower price.

edit: The iPad and iPhone don't use the best quality IPS display btw. I'm not expecting Apple to deliver the best of the best IPS display for the next gen MBP, but they can certainly use IPS displays at a reasonable price.

5. n19htmare macrumors member

But it's MORE expensive then the TN screen i'm sure. And if they sold the macbooks at the same current price, that would cut into their profit margins. Even if it's a slight cut, Apple won't do it. They love their profit margins too much.

Also, IPS display would be a revolutionary magical step up in the future... Apple is known for incremental upgrades.

6. amarcus macrumors 6502

Erm, because no one sells 15inch/13inch IPS panels and believe it or not but Apple do not manufacture their own screens...

I guess they just don't feel the need to innovate with the Macbook Pros. Whereas with all the competition surrounding the iPad/iPhone, it doesn't surprise me that they might request specific screens to be made.

7. tdream macrumors 65816

Name one 23 IPS for 200. You can't.. :p

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Dell's 23" IPS model is $320 currently. While IPS isn't that much more expensive than TN, I imagine there is good reason for still using TN displays, whether is it is power consumption or space, seeing as laptops with IPS are nonexistent or at least very rare.

9. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 65832

good point, i guess if there is no existing market demand they aren't going to go out of their way. and i suppose, too, that there is a technical precedent for putting it tablets where users will be rotating the screen in their hands making off-angle issues more pronounced.

if anything i'd just been hoping that the tablet market would make ips more of a standard. i mean i don't know the engineering behind it, but if LG or whoever is cranking out 7" and 9" ips's like mad for tablets as well as some 23+" displays, not to mention the bulk of HDTVs, i hoped it would eventually become more economical to produce 13/15/17" variants as well, rather that having two manufacturing processes for IPS and TN.

perhaps not, but i can dream though :)

10. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Just bought the u2311h from Dell for 214 + tax. You just have to watch the sales. Don't buy it at regular price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Technology always advances where the money is - where people are buying, where people care. And clearly, we as consumers care about small screens.

I like small screens. I'm not impressed with big screens anymore.

800x480 on my phone. 1280x720 on my TV, which is over 10x larger. HD isn't impressive to me anymore.

12. c7aea macrumors regular

I don't believe this at all. The reason I bought a 17" MBP is for a big screen. The reason I bought my 30" ultrasharp is to have a bigger screen with accurate colors, the reason I bought an iPad is to use easily around the house and the reason I would buy an iPhone (I have a droid) is to fit in my pocket. The point I am getting as is everything has a purpose. If you want something that you can only fit in your pocket then great, but I would love to see a MBP with an IPS screen because for me that would be useful to have a portable screen that very accuraty reproduces colors. Theses small devices have them, I think at least an option would be good, if you don't want to pay more for it you wont have to. If this latest update had an IPS screen I would buy one, but for now I will wait.
    And if you don't think HD is impressive maybe it is time for some glasses.

13. mark28 macrumors 68000

Dell Ultrasharp U2311H :p

14. rogerh macrumors member

I bought 3 of my Dell U2311 from the Dell eBay store for 199 each (brand new) :)

15. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

The most obvious reason I can think of is iPads getting viewed at weird angles is a much more common situation than it is for laptops.

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

HD really isn't. 1280x720 on a 46" LCD is not impressive when a 4" LCD has 80% the resolution. And AMOLED looks amazing compared to even some nice Plasmas I've viewed recently. Much less laptop LCDs!

I don't see any AMOLED laptops. There are still high quality laptops, but innovation is occurring more quickly in the more mobile marketplace.

17. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

If you could tell me the 27" monitor from dell with the same panel and resolution with LED backlighting that is much less then the $1099 canadian price I would love to buy it. I know this doesn't exist but if it does please enlighten me!