Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chicubfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I've seen tons of apps for various subway systems in various cities in the app store, but still not one for ours here in Chicago. I guess one got released today for the Chicago Metra rail system, but I want one for the CTA lines (Red, Blue, Brown, etc...) How come DC NY London and everyone else gets all the love?

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
While I think Chicago deserves an app for the EL, I would love to see someone develop a Detroit mass transit app for the People Mover just for laughs since it just goes in a circle.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Don't complain, there isn't one for the MBTA system in Boston either last I checked.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It takes time for these apps to be developed. It really depends on how the information is stored online (if it accesses the website for current schedules) or licensing the data for local storage.

TEG

chicubfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I'm just saying there are tons out there and Chicago is the third biggest city in the US and the EL is used extensively here. Hell google maps has a directions page made solely for Chicago mass transit: http://maps.google.com/chicago

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I'm just saying there are tons out there and Chicago is the third biggest city in the US and the EL is used extensively here. Hell google maps has a directions page made solely for Chicago mass transit: http://maps.google.com/chicago

I understand. I'm quite surprised that TriMet of Portland doesn't have an App for their Busses and the MAX, along with the City of Portland or the Portland Metro Council having a Bike Map system on the iPhone, since Portland is all full of cyclists.

I'd love to see an Amtrak app to track trains and make reservations.

TEG

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If one needs an app to navigate the CTA, they'll likely need help in using the iPhone in the first place. :D That has got to be the easiest mass transit system I've ever used. I <3 the Red Line!

This may be true for the El, but I doubt the CTA bus system is that easy. Rarely are bus systems in cites easy.

TEG

chicubfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
If one needs an app to navigate the CTA, they'll likely need help in using the iPhone in the first place. :D That has got to be the easiest mass transit system I've ever used. I <3 the Red Line!

Ok well I've been using the EL exclusively for years so I know how to use it and navigate it. I want a program that is a quick reference guide and one that I can plug in an address and see what the closet line and stop to take is.

So no I don't help using an iPhone. But thanks for being condescending.

JNB

macrumors 604
Ok well I've been using the EL exclusively for years so I know how to use it and navigate it. I want a program that is a quick reference guide and one that I can plug in an address and see what the closet line and stop to take is.

So no I don't help using an iPhone. But thanks for being condescending.

I wasn't being condescending, I was being complimentary to the fine system in Chi-Town. Chill.;) I really do like taking the El anywhere & everywhere I can (while trying not to be too obvious staring at the route schematics at the top of the car). At least you have a mass transit system. In PHX, we have, well, nothing, really.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Send an e-mail to the developers of others. I sent one to the people who put out 4 different ones that looked nice to request one for MARTA in Atlanta. I don't blame them for going with the NYC subway and the Metro in DC first. Don't forget that these people only had about 4 or 5 months to use the SDK.

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.

If you ask me, Chicago is the second biggest city in the US. LA is just an overgrown suburb that manipulates the population numbers by grabbing so much land.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.